Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Disney songs!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tsal, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    A moment ago (see: Where have all good basslines gone -thread) I was very worried what might be the future source for younger generation's bassplaying inspiration. Then I remembered, thank god, that there is one thing that shows what good music can be, way before kids get to MTV age:

Disney's cartoons. Especially considering their movies made during last two decades, I don't think there's one that wouldn't be remembered for it's music. Most of their movies are very musical-like.

At the moment, I'm listening to a song from their rather new film Lilo & Stitch, which is a remake of Elvis's 'Burning Love'. Excellent quality, balanced mix and some really nice bass too!

So perhaps Disney's movies were an inspiration for me even before I heard 'Soul Man', dunno. And let's not forget all the other animated movie companies that have nice music too - I just think Disney was the original.

2. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    2 words: hakuna matata

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

When I was a kid I loved many of the songs from the Disney animated movies of the time (Bambi, Snow White, Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella.) I'm not so sure I am that big a fan anymore. For example: "It's a Small World After All", possibly the WORST Disney song ever perpetrated on mankind...I mean those who have visited Disneyworld and ridden through the kingdom of miniature dolls in native costume.

On further thought, it may not be so much the melodies of Disney music, but the arrangements and orchestration. It is entirely possible that some of Disney's best music could lend itself to re-arranging with better instrumentation and even changing the tempo or whatnot.

By the way, when I was in Air Force officers' training years and years ago, we often marched to a "Souza-fied" version of the Mickey Mouse Club theme song. I really enjoyed that rendition.

4. There's a Sun Ra album consisting almost entirely of Disney covers. I should pick that up.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Done by Wynonna Judd, excellent song, got it after I watched the movie.

You have to check out the musical work they do for Tailspin and Ducktales, if not for the theme music alone. Very, very cool stuff happening on those.

In a related cartoon Binge: Samurai Jack has some music that'll blow your socks off.

6. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    My concert band was lucky enough to do a workshop at disney on our Florida trip in February, and working with the disney people was great.

We were basically made to sight read disney songs, getting progressively harder. We were then given a 20 minute rehersal to run through a piece 2 times, after which we put it to the cartoon video. Watching your conductor (who is watching the video) is the lesson here. That was a wonderful experience, and playing that music was great fun.

Disney music is very good :D

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Monty, I really envy you for that wonderful experience. I'm glad Disney has such high quality educational programs for the public. Going to Disney World is a fabulous experience all by itself, but to be able to add on music education on top of the trip is exceptional.

8. disney does have some amazing music...

but, we can not ignore the old warner brothers cartoons. those are the reason i got into music when i was six years old.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't know about the new stuff. All I know is that Mary Poppins is one of the greatest movies of all time.

brad cook

10. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Yeah, their staff really are second to none. What I learned in those few hours about band performance made me a better member of the concert band than everything I'd learned until then. It really was great.

11. Tiwaz

Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Norway
    "A Wild Hare" by Spastic Ink

- a musical interpretation of an animation classic released in 1942. Countless hours were spent transcribing violins, violas, cellos, basses, flutes, piccolos, clarinets, oboes, bassoons, harp, percussion / timpani, lightning, and a singing female bunny, then arranging them for guitars, bass and drums. Also transcribed were the pitch and timing of the hare's dialogue (including words, laughs, sniff, gulp, throat clearings), and fitting it into the keys and time structures of the themes in the film. For sections where no rhythmic background was apparent, we took the chords and added a little ink of our own. For sections where there were no chords, we took pitches from the dialogue to construct chords. The hare's dialogue is primarily on the right channel, lead melodies are on the left channel, thumps are on both channels.

(taken from the Spastic Ink website www.spasticink.com )

You can find Spastic Ink's "A Wild hare" on Kazaa Lite, be sure to check it out!!

12. I did that too but last feb. ('02)Did you put music to The Little Mermaid. I forgot the song now. Also did you do the thing with the jungle noises? That had a pretty nice bassline. If you dont know what i am talking I probably sound like a cokehead but oh well.

13. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Uh, the one we put to the film was the medley of aladdin clips. We did play the little mermaid song in the earlier part of the workshop, but not with the film. The jungle noises... hmm? Don't remember that.