disneyland accident

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gia, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Gia

Feb 28, 2001

A man has been killed and another 10 people have been injured after a rollercoaster car derailed at Disneyland theme park in Anaheim, California, local officials say.
    The incident happened on Disneyland's famous Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at about 1120 local time (1820 GMT), the officials said.

Los Angeles television station KCAL 9 said two children were among the injured.

"We have one fatality and 10 injured," John Nicoletti from the mayor of Anaheim's office said.

"The ride has been stabilised. Anaheim fire and police and Disneyland officials are on the scene," Mr Nicoletti said.

The roller coaster was closed and the area sealed off.

Anaheim police sergeant Rick Martinez told reporters that "at this point we don't believe sabotage was involved, but we are going to look at everything".

Park President Cynthia Harris was quoted by Reuters news agency: "We are shocked and saddened by this incident. Our hearts and prayers go out to the family of those involved."

well it shocked me....
  2. damn, that's really sad and scary at the same time.... but hell, NOTHING is flawless

:meh: if I tell my mom about that, she'd freak :meh:
  3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i feel bad for what happened

but no one ever said those things are %100 safe

unless of course the park says they are %100 safe:rolleyes:

but really...i do feel bad
  4. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I love that ride! It is really sad when soemthing like this happens...
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Thank you VERY MUCH for posting this 2 days before I go to an amusement park.

6. This is so horrible. :(

That's why I don't ride coasters.
  7. It's really bad this happened, but they are not 100% safe.
    But I think I've heard somewhere that they are three times safer than sitting at home doing nothing...
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the ironic thing about this is that this coaster only goes about 25 miles an hour. that's like a go-cart - that's not that fast.

it's very sad. i've ridden on that coaster before.
  9. :(

I know some people that work around that ride, I'm gonna talk to them tomarrow and see if they were working and saw what happened.
  10. That's pretty bad, I've been on that ride, good job they weren't on something faster like the Hulk ride!

While I was there, the Spiderman ride broke down for like 10 mins, quite funny at the time though!
  11. That sucks so bad :\ I love disneyland! In 8th grade when I was in choir we performed there in the morning and then had the whole day to ride the rides and stuff, and Big Thunder Mountain was one of my favorites! I feel really bad that this happened...I don't think I'll ever bring myself to ride it ever again :bawl:
  12. man, thats some scarey crap! i go to disney (world) every spring break and geez, i dunno bout this now :(

anyone else ever see that really bad TV movie that had the hulk rollercoaster in the opening scene and the track BROKE where the carts launch out and they just flew into the air and into the lake? that scares the SHYTE outta me because i ride that ride like 5 times every year :(

and last time we were at islands of adventure i waited in line for 2 hours for spider man only to have some idiot pull the fire alarm when i was about to get on, so we had to evacuate the building :mad:
  13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Sad to hear. It's unfortunate that things like this happen but whatever can go wrong, eventually will go wrong.

I would go on it if I had the was visiting DL, probably not right away but I eventually would. Think of it this way, there have been alot of fatal car accidents, but I still drive my car every day, alot of Plane crashes but I would take a flight to Italy to visit my family.
  14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    That ride kicks all ass.

But thats really sad though... but, sh** happens. Poor guy.

Disney is gonna be paying out the ass for this one, though.
  15. Personally I don't think they should pay anything because it was an accident. You ride the ride, you take the risk.
  16. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000

17. I know dude, but I just think its pathetic ;)
  18. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    well, yes... but it it inevitable and will be for millions and millions of $$ :meh:
  19. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Just how, exactly, do you know it was an accident?:rolleyes: It could very well have been a mechanical failure (Disney's fault), or negligence on the part of the maintenance crew (Disney's fault).

I'm not a big fan of frivilous lawsuits, but, c'mon, "whoops--it was an accident" isn't exactly the best outcome of this case, is it?
  20. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Yes this is very sad.

Everytime I go on an amusemsnt ride, I think about the worst that can happen. Then I get on the ride and have a good time.

My condolences goes out to the man's family and friends.