1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

disortion in wah housing?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 4StringedFreak, Aug 13, 2007.

  1. 4StringedFreak


    May 26, 2007
    hey, im dreaming up an effect, but i need some help...i want to rip the guts out of an old wah, and fill it with disortion. has anyone ever done this?
  2. Mr_Dave


    Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Interesting - what are you going to use the wah foot pedal to control? gain? tone? sounds rad
  3. 4StringedFreak


    May 26, 2007
    i want to make it control the gain. i want it so i can do a sweep and just make it crunch. but im not sure how to do that...any input?
  4. You take a dist pedal, remove the gain knob, run wires to the pot mounted in the wah pedal and bob's my uncle. Ok, so there's a few things that need to be checked, like pot value and taper etc but it ain't rocket surgery.

    First step is to get a wah housing, then you know what sort of pot you can mount (or utilise the existing one) etc.
  5. bongomania

    bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

    Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Just quoting 'cuz I liked the way it read. Sort of like a Tom Waits lyric, but more punk.
  6. yup... if your happy still having the distortion in its original case and just utilising the wah as a gain control via external wires, then, as nifty said, its relatively easy.

    If you want to get the distortion internals into the wah, then thats gonna be a tad more difficult :meh: You would have to get a wah, see what space internally (and externally for the other knobs to be mounted) you have available and go from there...

    In any application, the basic idea with this, is that you need to get the pot in the wah connected to the wires that the original gain pot is currently connected too. Then Bobs Nifty's uncle...
  7. If you have it controlling the gain then won't it mess with the volumes? Making it louder or quieter than unity gain?
  8. TaySte_2000


    Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
  9. Only if it normally does that when you turn the gain knob...

    A Wah is just a foot controlled knob on a pot rather than a finger dialed knob on a pot.

    As long as the resistance of the pot in the wah is in the same ball park as the current one, there isn't really any difference.

    EDIT: If the OP just wants to be able to control the gain, but with a wah instead of fingers, then thats what it would do
  10. Sir Edward V

    Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

    Dec 11, 2006
    haven't thought of doing one of these, though I have considered getting expression controlled delay: delay time AND/OR feedback/repeats
  11. Isn't that the case on most gain pedals though?

    By turning the gain knob up the volume usually goes up with it...

    So if your controlling the gain knob with the pedal then you're going to have bend down to change the volume and make it the volume it was before which makes it kind of pointless to have one parameter being controlled via a wah pedal...

    IMO it would be better to stick a delay pedal or modulation or possibly filter in there.
  12. hmmm...after my previous post and re-reading, I can see what your getting at funkyassbassman...

    Perhaps the OP is more hoping to adjust their entire sound as you normally would rather than just tweaking 1 knob..

    Its all a bit cryptic at the moment :meh:

  13. Heh...posted while I was re-posting. Yeah, I see what your getting at :)
  14. Sir Edward V

    Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

    Dec 11, 2006
    or you could have it change tone, that could be cool, or it could be all too similar to a wah pedal after a dist... depending on the pedal anyway...
  15. Yeah...

    Perhaps modding it to have 2 expression pedal outputs would be more practical...

    EDIT: Ok, I've just noticed you wanted the effect inside the wah so you won't want to do the expression pedal mod, personally, I wouldn't recommend distortion in wah pedal.

    Possibly look into having modulation and delay effects in. Ring modulators in wah pedals looks like a very very cool, the wah could be controlling the frequency.
  16. Oh yeah, that's a good idea actually! You could always try that.
  17. Sir Edward V

    Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

    Dec 11, 2006
    I think we have shown that controlling the gain with an expression pedal isn't practical as a mod if you are trying to change it on the fly... I assume he wants to change gain as he plays back and forth a lot like during a solo or something, in which case, yes, not easily done. if he just wants to tweak the settings more easily between songs... ok the two treadles would work

    you could do that whole change gain thing, but it would probably be easiest to make using digital controls
  18. Yep... The 2x treadles would suck...
  19. :bawl:

  20. 4StringedFreak


    May 26, 2007
    well i got the wah, its a morley pro series wah volume. the volume setting still works, but the wah doesnt. so i want to make it when i do a sweep, instead of making a wah sound, it will give a quick lick of distorsion. im not alarmed if it gets louder when its on, that might work out better anyways. i want it to be all internal, which i know i'll have room for, its just a question of how to change the gain knob to be adjusted by the foot control

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.