Disparaging remarks towards Bassists: How do you handle them?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by OXploiter, Sep 18, 2006.

1. OXploiter

OXploiter

Aug 1, 2006
    (Search function is still down, so I can't search for similar threads right now.)

I've always been somewhat conscious, though not overly sensitive, to people who jokingly (or not) make generalizations such as:

"oh, pffttt, what the hell does the bassist do?"
    "Pffft, bassists are worthless, they don't contribute anything at all."
    "Who cares about the Bassist? They don't solo or do anything flashy or anything. They're just background noise for the singer and the lead gu*tar guy."

Now, I don't take serious offense to any of these statements, it's just that whenever I try to calmly dispel these myths or try to reason with these folks, it's usually not taken seriously or is greeted with many "yeah yeah yeah"s and "whatever"s. I'm always tempted to tell them that I can probably play the Bass better than most of these guys can play their gu*tars, but I stop just short of that, usually. :spit:

How do you deal with this situation? Do you just shake your head and walk away?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    "Even if in your ignorance, you aren't aware of it, chicks don't dance without the bass player"

3. What bothers me most are disparaging remarks towards bassists... by OTHER bassists.

4. jonly

jonly

Oct 3, 2005
    Springfield, il
    I could really care less about what other people think. but...

My drummer said something along those lines right before a gig. (?)

I made him sound off all night. The singer and guitarists were shooting him looks like he was crazy and I just laughed while the bass did its magical "nothing".

5. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    If someone is saying bass player don't do anything they have never really played with anybody good, and obviously aren't that good themselves because they don't know what it takes to have a good band

6. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    I love having friends who respect the role of bass in music. I never get these remarks.

7. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

+1, self explanatory good point!

8. The Craw

The Craw

Jul 31, 2006
    I never hear remarks like this either. Maybe it's respect, maybe it's knowledge, maybe it's just not being boorish. I don't care which, but I appreciate being appreciated.

9. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    if you want positive remarks about what you do bass is not the best instrument to play... we all know how important bass is to music and that we prob fill up more freq range than any other instrument etc.. but ppl just don't understand or don't care.. my advice, play and enjoy bass for yourself, not for recognition...

10. ajb

ajb

Mar 20, 2005
    Remo is absolutely correct. You can't argue with people who make such ignorant statements about the role of bass in music. Anyone who makes such a bold statement about something he or she knows nothing about is beyond enlightenment. This applies not only to bass but to anything in life. Screw em all and just do what makes you happy because it makes you happy.

11. If its jokingly, just play along, and then make a kick ass solo to shut them up. :bassist:

If they're really being mean, I'd go as follows:

1-Right fist in the stomach, making them bend forward
    2-Left fist un the jaw while they're down to lift them back up
    3-Right fist in the belly again to crunch them back down
    4-Knee up in the face
    5-Foot in the groin
    6-End it all with a good push to send them flying across the floor

If you're lefty, just invert right and left as I said them.

Usually works fine for me.

Or you might walk away and talk to smarter, more open-minded people... ;)

Your choice.

12. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Some people have never been taught what to listen for in music. For instance my daughter heard everything from classical to Motown to Jimi to the Yellowjackets while growing up. As she got older and because of her experince as a young teen listening to radio she didn't like instrumental music. I had her listen and showed her how the instruments play the verse and the chorus how a solo could be a pleading expression like the vocal in a pop tune. She got it.
    Later she sat next to me at a house party where I backed a singer songwriter. After the gig she said, now I know how important bass is in a tune. She heard for herself where it was and where it wasn't. How it supports and makes a tune profound.

13. Great stuff

+1

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I usually attribute it to ignorance and let it go in one ear and out the other. ;)

15. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Let's be honest. Most people can't pick out individual lines from any piece. All they hear are the vocals with everything else being a merged hodgepodge of music. Sometimes they notice the drums and maybe a guitar/keys/other high freq'd instrument solo that is about it. What do I care if a musically illiterate individual doesn't value bass? I usually just laugh at them, point out that they do not in fact know what they are talking about, and then walk off. Arguing with morons just brings you down to their level.

16. Incognitus

Incognitus Amen!

Mar 25, 2006
    Eagle River, Alaska
    As Kael said, most people don't really know what they are talking about when it comes to music and the individual instruments roles in making said music. Ignorance is to be ignored and just keep playing.

Now if it comes from an actual musician, then that makes me mad, unless they are just as ignorant*cough* singers, guitarists*cough*, but if a person knows music and appreciates it then they may just be trying to give you some constructive criticism. If it's a drunk hillbilly, just tell him yours is bigger than the other guys so it doesn't matter anyway.

17. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    During a jazz gig, it was time to play So What. The keyboard player says, "This one's all about the bass."

The drummer says, "All about the bass? That must be why it's called So What."

Joe

18. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Yeah, exept for me it goes in one ear and out the other because there is nothing in between to grab it and make somthing out of it.:)

19. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I think it is truly difficult for us to understand just how little most people know about what they are listening to. They may really like a song because of the bass line and never know it. All they know is they like the song. As for disparaging the bass player, that's just pure ignorance. ;)

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Nice :D

I appreciate clever burns on the bass. But if anyone gets worked up about bass insults, your options are 1) Get new friends 2) Get a new instrument (might I suggest shredding lead guitar) 3) Stop being such a bitch.

Seriously, why are there one of these threads every other day?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021