Disparaging remarks towards Bassists: How do you handle them?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by OXploiter, Sep 18, 2006.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    +1.

I've found disparagging remarks are generally made out of ignorance and closed-mindedness.

If they only knew...:eyebrow:

2. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    +1

I hear that

maybe it's self-loathing bass players letting the man get them down?

FWIW

I played guitar for a long time

I now play bass

I am a god.

Bow down and spread before me.

3. Bass still gets a bad rap?

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yeah, I was wondering that too.

Seems today tons and tons more people know what bass is compared to 15yrs ago.

Honestly, I've never heard such comments to me or at my gigs.

5. OXploiter

OXploiter

Aug 1, 2006
    For the record, I'm neither a bitch nor a self-loathing bass player :D

What I am however, is a defensive person, and sometimes, things just set me off. It's really not limited to bass playing, but I'm starting to learn to take things "professionally" and not "personally". And that's why I started the thread, because most of you are probably professionals anyway, like I'm trying to be, and know how to deal with such things professionally.

Anyway, I do appreciate the input, you guys have been helpful!

(And like I said, the Search function was down, and I'm relatively new to the forum, so I don't know how many of these whiny threads are created daily, etc., k? ;) )

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I think the best way to deal with smart remarks like that is to kick the person in the sack, then throw lighter fluid on him and set him on fire. Or I'll say "Whatever," depending on my mood.

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Can't say I've ever had any disparaging remarks made - at least, not to me.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    If I hear one, I'm inclined not to bother answering. I'll let people wallow in their own ignorance!

However, if someone says something like "bass is easy" or "bass doesn't get to solo" and I'm holding a bass I'll knock out a slap solo and maybe a quick tapping piece to send them packing!

9. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    To be honest, i haven't heard a negative comment about the bass. everyone that makes some sort of comment to me doesn't actually know what a bass is, or what it sounds like. so they ask "what does a bass sound like?".

i find it rather amusing, since most of these people have invested a couple of thousand dollars on two or more subwoofers in their cars, unkowingly - because they know what a bass sounds like and they love the sound. they just don't know what instrument makes that sound, so its up to me to tell them.

that being said, i never get offended at them, because before i started playing bass, i couldn't tell the difference between a guitar and a bass.

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I thought, when I decided to buy one, that a bass was just like a big guitar. I sometimes talk with my brother (who started playing guitar a couple of months after I got my bass, people find that odd and remark that they thought it would have been the other way round) with the wild misconceptions we had in days gone by.

11. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    I'm the guy with a girl on each arm after gigs :) people tend not to come up to me and try to tool me for 'only being a bass player'... (cos that's all it is, they're just trying to tool you) because in that context it looks even more pathetic than it already is

let the geeks argue among themselves... whipping out a huge virtuosic bass solo to 'prove them wrong' is just jumping through their hoops... forgetaboudit!!

12. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    This seems to be symptomatic of guitar based rock, played by dem youts. I used to encounter this attitude as a young rock player.

But after playing jazz, mostly in situations with no guitar player, you will find that THOSE musicians have a very different attitude about the bass

Whats the quote from Ornette Coleman when asked if he "leads" the band?

"The bass leads the band".

13. i usually just laugh with the guy and add in how the bass is so easy--its not worth my time or emotion to explain to the guy what bass is, and it's not worth my time or emotion to get mad at him--the fact is, I got the gig, i got paid, the band likes me, the band likes having a bass player. I hang out with those guys way more then the drunk guy in the back of the bar who is telling me that the bass is a worthless instrument :)

14. OX, naw, you have to change your shtick. Major Metal and RAM are right on. First, you must not hang out with folks that have the slow lane thing going on intellectually. And if you do find yourself caught with one, you must do nothing but smile, never really acknowledging their comment. Pay it NO resepct by not answering.

Plus all that is better for your blood pressure than getting torqued over such silly adolescent quips. AND, it sets you apart somewhat, now doesn't it!

We'll make you an elitist yet!

One must admit that NO student of music would ever utter those 3 things you mentioned.

Oh, and BTW, I will miss a practice or two ( my schedule actually) , so my band mates REALLY appreciate having the low end intact. :)

15. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    1. Carefully, remove the offender's spleen
    2. Show it to them
    3. roll spleen in a mixture of gravel, sugar and Windex
    4. throw sleen against wall till it no longer sticks
    5. Replace spleen in offender
    6. Pat offender on back and say "There ya' go!"
    7. Enjoy a cup of 'Joe'.

16. Roger Pounders

Roger Pounders

May 24, 2006
    They dont know, but they know. They dont applaud, but they know, they dont know they feel it...

I play in a cheesy 80s cover band, there are alot of songs that start off with guitar or keys or drums.. they dont dance till I start....

They dont need to know it, I know it

17. Charles_A

Charles_A

May 25, 2006
    What do you call a guy who is always hanging out with musicians?

The bass player.

Funny, funny stuff.

18. Dover78

Dover78

Sep 19, 2006
    Dover, Ohio
    I have 3 basic responses

To guitarists:
    Oh yeah, well mines bigger and longer.

To Drummers:
    Atleast I don't beat mine all day.

To Non-Instrumentals:
    At least I've got one.

19. Mingus Dew

Mingus Dew

Jul 8, 2005
    I guess I haven't played enough gigs cause I rarely ever run into idiots like that. Any musician who takes serious jabs at other people based on their instrument most likely sucks. Chances are they'll give up playing soon. I've been lucky enough to play in bands where everyone loves bass and I've never had to deal with stupid things like that.

20. The Craw

The Craw

Jul 31, 2006
    LOL! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! I've never encountered any anti-bass bias from guitar-based rockers, but the jazz world is full of of elitist bias and outright hatred towards guitar-based rock.

And then of course there was the attitude that the bass guitar wasn't a real bass. That attitude is still around today in the jazz world.

Not that it makes any difference in the real world. ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021