Disparaging remarks towards Bassists: How do you handle them?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by OXploiter, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    My bandmates and band rivals always tease me about it, but there's a difference between teasing and insulting. We all tease everyone about everything - its what we do.

2. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Stand next to the guitarist and say "these are really pretty similar...except mine's bigger and goes deeper."

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    :D lmao

What do I do? I hit them with my bass.

-Mark

4. BigDaddyB

BigDaddyB

Feb 27, 2003
    West Monroe, LA
    Endorsing Artist Regenerate Guitar Works and Honey Badger Pickups
    It's amazing how quickly people shut up when I offer them a 'test-drive' of an unlined fretless 5 or 6.

Shuts g&^tar players right up. It's stopped more than one from repeating the insult of telling me what my part in the equation should be.

5. I normally don't get any of these kinds of remarks. I try to play basslines that people will notice regardless of their musical experience. However, I did get an absurd comment once from somebody, and it was the only time I've ever heard something like it. A roommate's sister once told me "So it doesn't really matter if you like, miss notes or anything because it's all low anyway right?"

6. I smile and get paid. Seriously don't take offense to anything.

7. I have found this to be true also. Love the Ornette quote by the way.

I worked at a Mars Music 5 years ago. One day a sweater clad indie rock type (guitarist) came in looking for a bass for home demos. My co-worker showed him a Jazz Bass. After plunking around for 10 minutes, he told the salesman it didn't go "low enough", the salesman informed him that he wasn't pressing the frets down all the way. He then got frustrated and said "look, don't take this the wrong way, but bass isn't that important.":eek:

8. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I am usually the one making such remarks.. I am a big fan of a cool guitar sound!

9. thats exactly right... the bassist makes a song groove so people dance.. and you dont feel like an idiot on stage, when people just kinda look at u like... i dont really wana dance to this, lets go home.... and becides... bassists get all the good lookin' chicks....

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 16, 2021