displaced New Orleanian - Houston recommendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by audiotom, Sep 19, 2005.

1. audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans

I am a NOR - New Orleans Refugee, living on the west side of Houston for the next 4 months. I faired okay in the storm, no flooding but some roof water damage, feel blessed compared to many.

My questions- Are there any good stores and setup people in Houston (preferably west side (I-10 & the Beltway))
    I have an SX with bought pickups I need to modify
    I also want to find some TI flats for a 92 Jazz Bass

Am looking for good stores for vintage instruments
    and possibly a teacher (I'm a year into my studies)
    also any good music hangouts Jazz or Rock

thanks in advance for your input

2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    You might send a PM to FCM3 (Frank) and ask him personally. He is a houston resident and Im sure would be glad to help.
  3. brooklyn

Aug 10, 2005
    Check out the guy's at the bass department of Rockin Robin's Guitars on Shepard and Richmond. They are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Good Luck.
  4. groove100

Jan 22, 2005
    Ei man, first of all you are not a refugee,
    but an evacuee.
  5. No- he's a refugee because he cannot volunatarily go back to his home due to conditions beyond his control.
  6. bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    No... he's someone looking for a good bass shop. Lets not derail his thread, mmmkay?
  7. audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    thanks for the suggestions

any suggestions in Austin?
    I escaped to Hill Country and a Waterloo records binge a week ago - I love Austin, but don't kow it's music shops

8. No offense or anything, but damn I wish I had that kinda scratch to spend on a bass right now.

9. wall of doom

wall of doom

Sep 17, 2005
    I agree with Brooklyn,check out Rockin robin. They've got cool stuff including new and vintage bass pedals. If you're a lefty try Southpaw guitars/Bellaire music..either way you'll get hooked up with good repair/set-up guys.
  10. bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Bass Emporium would be a good place to start.
  11. audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    Thanks Guys

I'll check out Rockin Robin tommorrow
    a quick google search and they have some nice vintage stuff

also can't wait for the next Austin trip
    will definitely check out Bass Emporium

thanks midnight, juneau, brooklyn and wall of doom
    I feel at home already

12. M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Stay away from Austin this weekend unless you have a ticket to the Austin City Limits Festival. The hotels are booked and the bars are packed.

When you do come, check out Austin Vintage Guitars on South Lamar (Around the corner from Heart of Texas Music).

13. bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I forgot about that place, good thinking.

Shoot, the way things are looking this weekend with Rita headed for Houston, Austin may be the best thing going for him!
  14. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Rocking Robin and Fuller's Vintage Guitar are your best bets for any thing good in Houston.
  15. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    For repair/setup work I'd recommend Ron Pace. Ron's shop is in the neighborhood right behind the Guitar Center located at Westheimer and Voss. Ron Pace's phone number is 713-339-9000.

I've lived in Houston all my life and have had work done by Rockin Robin, Kevin Perry, Jim Fulton, Fuller's, and Ron Pace.
    Rockin Robin's work I would say was ok, but I was not very happy with the work that Fuller's did on my Duo Sonic (new nut, dress frets, etc.). Kevin Perry was just ok, nothing special. Jim Fulton (Lone Star Guitar Shop) was good, but he's too far away in South Houston. All these guys I mentioned are supposed to be some of the best in Houston, I choose Ron Pace as the best from my experience. I've heard good things about Neil Sargeant but haven't had any work done by him.