1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dissapointed but, not surprised

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by tgriley62, Oct 25, 2013.

1. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    I know this is a long post but, please let me semi-rant. Since June of this year I have been in contact with a drummer about getting a band toghter and he finaly informed me this week that he found a guitar player that would like to get together next week for a jam session. This is great for me since I have only been playing for about four years and this will be my first time playing with other musicians, I also add that I am 51. So any way the drummer e-mails me a list of songs that the guitarist knows, and low and behold what two songs are on his list. Brown eyed girl & Free bird. Now, am I going to learn these two songs? Yes, I will give it my best shot because as I stated this is my first opportunity at being in a band & at 51 it my be my last

2. If you play those songs in the right rooms, you may find your audience is anything but disappointed.

3. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    There was a thread here a few months back in which someone posted the YT link to the actual FreeBird isolated bass track. It's worth tracking down. I was very pleasantly surprised. If you can learn to play that song like that, you'll have accomplished something...

(Did you really think that was a long rant/post? There are some doozies here...)

4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    If you look in my sig, you can see how much fun we have playing Free Bird.

It's one of my favorite songs to perform.

5. Yeah, don’t sweat it, both Free Bird and Brown Eyed Girl are extremely easy songs to play - just download the charts and MP3 files and learn them before you get there.

PS: Good luck, and have fun. :)

6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Ah, go for it. Would you rather not play at all? Glad to hear you've got something getting started. I moved last summer, did the CL thing, and it was guitarists saying "tell me when you find a drummer" and drummers saying "tell me when you find a guitarist" and could never get it coordinated. Finally I thought I had a trio ready to assemble, but I sent the drummer two or three emails asking "what day are you free?" and "what songs do you want to play?" Each time he'd write back, "yeah, cool, let's get together" -- and never actually answer those two crucial questions.

I finally gave up on the whole thing. Had auditions with some existing bands and finally found a slot.

7. TIP: Next time don't give up, and if/when you ever get another reply like that, say something like - cool, let's do it tonight. ;)

8. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    Thanks everyone. My reason for the post was because it was funny seeing those two songs listed when I can't count the number of times I have read from gigging bassist on here about those two songs being the ones that many just don't want to do or refuse to do. As I stated I will learn any song since this is may be my first band and as a rookie bassist I don't want to rock the boat & if it doesn't work out it will be a learning experience.

9. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I still like them just fine.
    Some of the guys here have not only heard those songs 10,000 times, they've played them 8500 times. When I've reached that stage maybe my perspective will change too. Meanwhile go for it.

How many times do you suppose Tony Bennett has sung 'Left My Heart in San Francisco' ?

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    The irony there is, he actually left it in Paris.

11. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Go for it and gave fun with it!

12. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    Just let it sit for a while. Those tunes don't have to stay in the set list forever right?

13. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    You only get to complain after you've had to play them for 30 years.......LOL. Good luck and have FUN!

14. sacreddog717

sacreddog717

Jun 20, 2006
    Dublin, CA
    The reason most people don't want to play those songs is because they have played them so much. They play them so much because people like to hear those songs.

15. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Nah...lot's guy's still gigging that are way older than you.

Keep getting better and you'll keep finding slots opening up for you.

I suggest you start a song (note) book containing the name of each song, chords, starting note and signature bass line for each song you learn. Even put the audio/video files in their own directory so you can refer to them when if you need to review. Maybe even an iPAD or iPAD mini!

Maybe getting a slow-down software may help. I use Song Surgeon.

Good luck. :bassist: