1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dissapointed in my MB 151P

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dave_bass5, Jan 1, 2007.

1. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I got the above a bout three weeks ago. i couldn't get to try one but from all the good comments i ordered it anyway.
    What a mistake. This is the first piece of gear i have got in a long time that made me go "oh S**t, what have i done". From the moment i plugged it in i felt it wasn't what i wanted.
    Dont get me wrong, its a nice cab, very light and very well made. I even liked the look of it but really dont like the sound and feel its very underpowered for what i need.
    Before i got it i had been using a MAG 1x15 deep and although its a very cheep cab, rated almost half of what the 151P is i (and the band) feel the MAG is a better sounding, louder cab.
    I feel (for me) there is not enough mid being projected out front. it sounds "soft" and i was having to turn my MB SA450 master almost 3/4 max to keep up with a guitar combo at a gig i have used a MAG 307 C-115 combo on just under half in the past.
    The sound was getting very compressed the more i turned it up and i was of course pushing the amp too hard. I felt that although i was getting heard it was at the expense of tone (in fact i felt there wasn't any)

Again, its a good cab but not for me. My other cab (for my other band) is a 1210 and although ive been unhappy with the sound at some gigs in going to get a 1212L to replace the 151P as soon as i can sell it. Im not comparing the two, more comparing a £150 MAG 1x15 to the £450 151P

Happy new year guys.

2. janek65

janek65

Apr 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    One thing i would try (but you probably already did) is test it in a *large* room. I say this because i have found out that my cab (an ebs410) sounds dramatically better in larger rooms when compared to practice-like rooms, in terms of tone as well as compression.
    Good luck.. and a happy new year :),
    Jan

3. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Jan
    Its had a good test at two large clubs. No PA support but only playing function type covers so nothing too loud. We have played these gigs before so i know whats needed and i have used a MAG 307 C-115 combo before and had more punch and volume.
    I have a 1210 cab and that does indeed sound almost totally different once you get out front but with the 151P it just dissapears out front apart from the lows.
    Im going to do two more gigs with it so maybe it will grow on me but i doubt it. It seems too quiet and i dont like having to push the amp to over half on the master to be heard in places like these. ive played them before with less output form my MAG combo.
    I think its just lacking mids really and i did try re EQ'ing but just couldnt get the bite i needed.
    Thanks anyway

4. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Ive heard this to about the 151P Dave ..
    Ive heard that adding a traveler 102P really makes a big difference , moore punch and clarity. Thats a light weight small stack . .

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    You might want to consider the Bag End S15D. Its lightweight (44LBS) has "ton o' mids" and is not too expensive. Its very efficient and puts out lots of vol. I will be using one as a standalone single cab solution.

Do a search... it may be what you're looking for.

6. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Is the cab mid-scooped or compressed sounding?

When you say that it all disappears except the lows, it sounds like there's a bit of a mid scoop going on. With the "Sounds Soft" comment, it also seems that there might be a bit of built-in compression going on as well.

Did you use the same EQ settings as with the MAG, or did you start flat and adjust as needed?

Also, what bass+strings setup are you using? With so many variables in what affects tone, it might not be solely the amp.

7. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Yes, i think your right there is a mid scoop (or at least it sounds like one). i have tried to rebalance it using the mid EQ on my amp but if i get it sounding better, and therefore louder or punchier then i get the compressed effect. I do believe my amp has a built in limiter to stop the sound distorting but i have run the amp louder than this before without loosing the bite.
    you mention the strings. well i have thought about this and they have been used for 5-6 gigs but i can hear a lot of "zing" in the sound if i turn the tweeter up so i dont think they are too dead yet. I am going to change them before the next gig though.
    The Bass is a Lakland 55-01 and im using Lakland SS strings. The amp is a MB SA450. The cab does seem to be able to handle the low B quite well, at lest low D anyway and the sound isn't breaking up.
    I have a feeling the cab just isn't for me.

8. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    Dave, how do you set your filters on the SA450 ?

I'm surprised, having tried a 151p in the shop, that you're having volume issues. I gigged on NYE using just my 102p and the LM2 barely on and I was loud enough to compete in a dynamic 5 piece with a loud drummer.

When I use the larger 102HF by itself I sometimes don't hear it on stage as well but people tell me it has real chest thump qualities and I can rarely get the master volume above 8 or 9 o'clock.

The best option is, however, using both cabs for the projection and audibility on stage for our bigger gigs.

9. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thanks for the reply.
    First let me say ive done over 50 gigs with my amp so i know whats what Eq wise. Ive also used three different cabs so again, i know how to EQ them to get the sound i want, although of course wach cab sounds different but i can get the sound i want from them
    With the 102P i assume it cuts through better as it has more mid.
    I can see no way i can use my SA450 with my master barley on. I normally go to about 8-9 with my 1210, and thats a very loud cab and its running at 4ohms. thats the sort of volume my band play. even this is only really loud enough to fill the dance floor in front of us as most of the clubs we play dont like the sound to actually fill the rooms (although with the 1210 i can if needed). While i realise the 151P is not going to match the 1210 i can get the same volume with my MAG by boosting the master to about 12.
    I have played these venues before and i have gone out front to check the mix. this time i could hear myself and i was sitting in the mix well but the sound was not good. it was quite soft and not the tone i wanted. at low volume i could just about get the tone i was happy with but there does seem to be some low mid missing no matter how much i turn the EQ up. As for in shop volume. that really is totally different. you aren't competing against a band and you rarely get to turn up to gig volume IMHO
    I do realise that i should experiment more with the cab and i am going to but i have a feeling i will not be happy with it.
    Again, it is a nice cab but maybe just not for me. I do like the low end, i just wish there was something more in the middle and that i could turn up enough to get a good, clean tone.
    you are right though, two cabs would do the trick, its just that i cant fit tow cabs in the car although the 102p is quite small so i may think about it if i decide not to get a 1212L.

10. brandonie

brandonie Adult Film Music At It's Best!!!!

That 102P made a huge difference for my rig, the 104hf sounded good, but when I hooked up the two ten I really got the sound I was looking for. Is your 151 4 or 8 ohms? I really didn't care for it when I played the 15 at the GC, but it is in a little room. Good luck!

11. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    I wasn't trying to infer anything about your EQ'ing skills just wanted to compare your settings to mine. FWIW most gigs I set my eq flat with the filters no higher than 10 o'clock, although on the last gig with my G&L and old TI flats they were both switched off.

I wouldn't describe the 102P as being more middy exactly (IMO all of the Markbass cabs exhibit the same general sound) it's just easier to hear standing close to the amp. I thought the 151p was exceptionally quick for a 15 and could see why Jeff Berlin likes them so much.
    I've played gigs with just the 102p when I've been the only one not going through the PA and I'm still too loud.

I'd like to think that I do know what to look for in a sound even without being in a band setting and my local Markbass dealer puts up with me trying things out very loud !

12. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I didnt mean to sound defensive over the EQ. its just that i used so many combintaions trying to get a good sound that i cant remember what i used. I do normally use the same as you by the sound of it. mainly letting the filters do the work and also no more than 10'o clock. in fact i tried it with the VLC off as that cuts the mids but that made no difference.
    As far as in shop playing i would have to say i still dont get a feel for tone. Although you can hear what a cab sounds like to a certain degree its only once you stand away from it that you get a proper fell to how it will sound live IMHO. Certainly thats what i have found. my 1210 sounds not great on its own, even on a small stage it can sound too middy but 20ft out front it sounds lovely.

13. Zakk007

Zakk007

Jun 27, 2006
  14. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I did think about getting one but the specs put me off
    SPL 94dB 1W@1m seems a bit quiet compared to even my MAG thats rated at 98dB 1W @ 1m and the 151P is 100dB 1W @ 1m
    Thanks anyway

15. Zakk007

Zakk007

Jun 27, 2006
    I used to use MAG cabs 2 0r 3 years ago and there is just no comparison between the MAG and ABM. The ABM sound so much better, never really been one to look at specs just judge with my ears.

16. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Same here and if i cant hear the bass in the mix then i know its not loud enough.

17. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    It would be interesting to hear from someone else with gigging experience of the 151P.

I played at a ball in an old aircraft hangar last month for 800 people with virtually nothing going through the PA and my master was on 9'o clock using both cabs. I could easily have used just the 102HF and filled the place with bags of volume to spare.

18. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I played The American Exhibition at Duxford Air museum last month, its the big dome. Of course we didnt have to fill it but we did get asked to turn down by the organiser. This was the gig i took my MAG 1x15 deep. I ended up having to gaffer tape my rig to the floor as it was bouncing all over the place. i even had to tape the amp to the cab to stop it falling off. I was on just under half on the master with the mid controls flat and the low knob at about 2 0'clock. both filters on around 9-10 o'clock.
    this was with no PA support except for vocals.
    At the last gig i played with the 151P i was on just over half with the mids up and yet the amp didnt move. Even the cab (which is lighter than the MAG) didnt move.
    This to me suggests there is less volume coming out of the cab.
    Maybe im doing something wrong here (and have been for a few years) as i cant see anyway of filling a huge room with hardly any power coming out of my amp. With one MB cab you can only get 300watts max out of the LMII or SA450.
    Dont forget we are talking about different cabs here. While im no expert i believe a 1x15 will be a bit slower than 2x10's. i know MB use good speakers but even so i doubt you would get the same amount of punch from both cabs.
    I can see how if i used two cabs they would give me a lot more volume and maybe ill look in to getting a 210P as its quite small but i need to check we have room in the car before i get it.

19. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    I've gigged at a Blues festival in the past with an Ashdown ABM stack which I thought was ok but I wasn't in a rush to PX my Eden 410XLT.
    The Markbass cabs are a definite improvement though (having A/B'd with the Eden).
    My impression of the 151P was that it was quicker than all of the 15's I've ever owned and of better speaker quality than the ABM's. I'm mystified.

20. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Well it could just be as i said, its not for me.
    It is a nice cab and people seem to be gigging with it so maybe i just dont like the tone. It does seem quick and punchy at low volume but at a gig it sounds different and its the gig sound i dont like. It might even be that its a more neutral sound and agian, maybe i need a more coloured sound as thats what im used to.
    I also didnt like my 1210 when i first got it but im amazed with the volume of that cab. since i got it i get asked to turn down a lot at sound checks. Again, im not comparing the two cabs but i did expect a lot of improvement over the MAG considering the cost.