Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dissimilar or Similar Pair of 1x12's???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 28, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

with all these 1x12 posts flying about, i was wondering if people like using 1x12's of the same company or if they're having success with two different makers?

with my guitar (oops, i did it again...) cabs, i love using two different speakers, for a little tonality fun.

would using two different speakers give you that cool blending of tones or would it sound blurry and unfocused?

would similar cabs have a more focused tone since they emphasize frequencies within each other??

what your experiences?

2. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Hmm, not a lot of action on this one.

Well, I know what I prefer - I prefer to use similar cabs when I double up.

A lot of folks like to put a 2x10 on top of a 1x15, with the idea that the 1x15 will fill out the bottom. I have had better luck using another 2x10 of the same kind. The tone seems clearer and punchier to me. And if it's a good 2x10, it can be just as deep as a 1x15, too. For bass, too much difference in the tone of the two cabs and they just muddy the sound, IMHO. Unless you are biamping, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Currently I use my Epifani T-112 most of the time, and when I need noise I have a second one. They seem to lock together really well - my 4x10 is sitting out on the porch, cold and lonely.

3. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't feel mixing makes or speaker sizes in cabinets "muddies" the sound unless one or both of the cabinets are too muddy to start with.

There are very few 1 15 cabs that have as "clear" a voice as a cab with a smaller speaker, even starting at 12 inches or smaller.

My 2 EA 208 rig sounds fantastic together but I wanted a little more bottom fatness so I opted to add the Aguilar 112 to one EA 208 to start with. Both cabinets have a nice sounding yet different voice to them. Together its a nice marriage. The 208 is whistle clean, flat, and punchy. The low end just growls in this cabinet, but alone, it's not full enough unless really cranked, which I can't always do for the types of gigs I play. SO.....the answer, get another cabinet that has the fatness and smoothness at low to moderate volume, BUT is NOT muddy sounding alone, to complement the EA. Use both EA's in highly echoey or boomy rooms where the additional fatness isn't necessary, and use all three for extremely dry rooms or larger indoor or outdoor venues requiring slightly more bottom to be thrown farther out from the stage. The EA's don't do that quite as well, SO add a slight boost with the AG.

I don't see why you couldn't mix an Ag112 and a Berg 112 as they sound totally different, yet could very well complement each other. The Berg is much "cleaner" in my mind and punchier than the AG, the Ag is fatter lows and tinkier highs. The two together would probably sound pretty damn good.

Other thing I'm trying. I don't like the Sound of the EA's when they're off the floor!! So now I put the ag 112 on the smaller side of the cabinet where the woofer is closest to the floor and put the EA right next to it with the speakers up and down. That slightly cuts the bottom of the AG compared to laying the cabinet on its long side on the floor but it sounds best to me this new way and just adds enough bottom to the EA's to full in what's needed.

I'm done blabbing. This is the first time I've really tried turning the cabinets differently to get the proper amount of bottom out into a room. Its unbelievable how much a difference this makes to your sound.

LKaye

4. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Hey, joker, different strokes for different folks, sounds like you have a good rig and are having fun with it. Fun is the main thing, IMHO.

One other thing you have to worry about when using non-identical cabs is the relative efficiency of each. If you have a 97dB cab like my Epifani and you want to combine it with an EACXL112 at 103dB the EA will be four times as loud if you just plug them both into the same amp. So you have to have some way of equalizing the levels, usually another amp channel with its own volume control. And sometimes when you match levels at low volume they don't stay matched if you crank it, or vice versa.

When you use identical cabs, you don't have to worry about matching levels.

Having tried it both ways, I just personally prefer to use similar cabs, as noted.:cool:

5. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I think I'd just get two Epifani 112's and not be adding db worries to the mix.