1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dist that sucks!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I've been experimenting with finding the perfect guitar distortion to complement my awesome (IMO) low-mid-growl of a bass distortion. This perfect distortion would be best described as a hi-mid-to-treble-crackly-scream type of dist with no low-end and no low- to mid-mids. As we're all bassists around here I figure that some of you must know of a pedal that can annhillate the low-end.

I hooked up my Boss Mega Distortion (MD-2) and though it cut's lows and has a bass knob that I can use to cut it some more, it still leaves the low mids intact for the most part, even when I turn the tone knob to full treble.

BTW, I'm not looking for some boutique/rare pedal to do this, more because of the inherint cost than anything else. I'm just looking for a cheap/common way to get this tone to record some shiz solo, and have some fun in the process :D

2. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    My Vintage ProCo Rat does exactly what you're thinking of. It's an incredible distortion for guitar, but I get NO low end coming out of the thing, even running an EQ pedal (Well, my OBD-3 with the gain all the way down and the lows cranked) behind it.

I know I've heard of bassists using Rats, but I think that's the RAT II, not this one. Check it out if you can!

-Dash

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Got it.

The answer is: anything that's on the 'effect'-side output of a Boss CEB-3. You'll have a continuously-variable low-cut filter withwhich to set the frequency at which annhillation initiates.

Now you have the pitch and time shifts available from the CEB, that SUPER fatten-up the sound. I mean it sounds SO-much like two seperate insruments playing, that it never ceases to amaze me.

You could put it before or after your MD-2; the effects will be different.

Remember that if your signal's already split, and you need effect-only out of the CEB, then you have to use the regular 'mono' output jack, but put a 'dummy plug' in the second output jack.

UniBoss; I'm tellin' you, Man: it's a powerful thing.

Joe

4. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I'll have to look into the CEB! Does the filter go has high as the low mids? Say, 2-300 Hz?

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah - well-past there, in fact... Sometimes I'll put the knee just-about at the fundamental of twenty-fourth fret on the G-string. I can test this by pinging the second-octave harmonic on the G-string, and dialing-down the filter control (toward counter-clockwise, I mean - that'd be UP in frequency) 'til I hear it start to cut the note out. This ends-up something like a 9:00 or 9:15 control setting.

..And: It's not a dip or shelf; it's a true, distinct, low-cut roll-off!

Joe

6. I use a wah before the distortion to get the sund you're describing. Simply rock it forward all the way and leave it there, and voila, nothing but treble and high mids left in your sound. I use a Guv'nor II set at max vol and gain into a tube head, it literally screams.

7. sinophysiker

sinophysiker

Feb 7, 2006
    Shanghai
    maybe an EQ is a more simple solution.

8. EHX graphic fuzz?

9. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I've tried this but the hiss is unbearable! I'd like to keep hiss to a min, cus I got enough comin' off the MD-2 already!

Sounds excelent, been thinkin' about getting a chorus for bass and if it can double as a high-pass filter, all the better :D :bassist:

10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    D'oah! --

OK - this is all great and everything, but I want everyone to understand that when I'm preaching about this 'UniBoss'-thing, it's far-beyond highpass I'm talkin' about here!

Here -- Let me go over a couple points I've made in the past: The CEB-3, in its chourusing 'action', doesn't - as far as my ear can detect - use ANY 'feedback'; it's just a simple, SINGLE, pitch-modulated, high-fidelity DOUBLE (quite a short double; far-shorter than a 'slap'-echo; longer than what you'd usually use for a flange, though). This means that with the Depth control CCW and the Filter control CW, when you split-off the 'effect'-part from the 'dry'-part (which you do by taking the output from the normal, 'lower' output jack, with a plug inserted in the other jack), it's just a single, slightly-delayed duplicate of the original.

Now this slight double is valuable in itself, of course, for giving depth and realism and spaciousness and all - generally fattening things up a little; spreading things out, or whatever. ..But now the real powerful function comes-in - get the modulation going, and NOW you're looking at the possibilities of a REAL-convincing, REAL-fat doubling action - the CEB is providing slightly-varying time AND pitch cues. Well so-far, here we're only back to any straight chorus or double effect, but the power of being able to conveniently split-off this 'second instrument' for seperate processing is enormous! Keep in-mind that when you seperately process one of the signals - like change it very much at-all, really, it doesn't sound like a 'chorused' sound anymore - not at all, really! I sounds like two, seperate, DRY signals.

..And on top of all-that: a handy low-cut filter.

Joe

11. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Thanks for the info. I'm probably gonna pick one up this afternoon :eek:

I've been thinking about a slight chorusing on my main sound anyway...