Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dist/Wah/D.I. order

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Dec 22, 2005.

1. I'm currently reshuffling/downsizing my pedalboard(getting rid of the chorus and the octave, for death metal it's just adding mud and noise) and I'm going to reorder thing.

My setup will be Airline Wireless/Boss TU-2/Ibanez PD7/Dunlop 105Q/MXR M-80, but I want to put the D.I. after the tuner, so when recording/live I can have a clean bass signal and my distorted bass signal going to the desk. My distorted tone now has plenty of balls but I'd like to be able to blend a clean signal in small amounts for articulation.

My question is whether to have the wah before the D.I.? This way the distorted and clean channels would both be wah'ed at the same time by the same amount, although at the minute I like the sound of the wah after the distortion, and always have.

Otherwise the clean note would be totally, 100% uneffected and the distorted sound would have the wah on. However, I would favour the distorted signal over the clean signal in a mix anyway. Would that clean, un-wah'ed note sound OK against a distorted wah note?

Also, is having a the D.I. before the distortion a good idea, or would the signal level be too high? I try and set my gains at unity.

Cheers,

PF

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you like the sound of distortion before the wah, put it there. As far as DI placement, what do you want to the FOH mix?

If you want clean tone, put your DI first.

If you want distortion, no wah, put between the distortion and wah.

If you want distortion with wah, put the DI last. This sounds pretty cool but I suggest you try it out, see if YOU like it.

3. The DI isn't my main FOH send, that's from my PSA-1, this setup is just so I can run two signals(clean and distorted) to the desk if we get a decent sound man.

I can take or leave the wah placement, the main thing I was wondering is whether an un-wahed clean tone when mixed with a wahed distorted tone would overpower the wah sound.