distance from pickups to string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by loma, Feb 16, 2004.

1. loma

Sep 27, 2003
    i know this mite sound stupid, but for all you BTB owners, how many millimeters or inches up are the pickups out of the body
  2. I have the pickups on my BTB405 set at about 3/8" (9-10mm) above the body. That puts them at about 1/8" (3mm) below the strings. May be higher than others have their pickups set, but I don't have any problems. This setting is considerably higher than what it was originally, but one day I just decided to see high low I could adjust the action and how high I could raise the pickups before noticing any adverse effects. I liked the results and left it alone.
  3. I don't know if you're looking for when it comes from the factory or what but you can move 'em up or down. Up for better tone and clarity and down if you play real heavy and have problems with the strings hitting the pickups. It's all personal preference and how you play to tell ya what's best for where to set them
  4. dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Does the mic height/distance from the strings really affect the tone? I've tried to find this out but it seems the opinions are quite divided. Some say it has no effect, some say it does..
  5. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

It should only affect the volume. I don't hear any tonal difference between high or low settings.

Harrell S.
  6. dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    But does mic height affect sustain? Of course, the volume increases moving the mic closer to strings and thus probably improves sustain, but thinking from another point of view, the mic works as a "magnetic brake" for the string..Don't know if this has an effect on it. :meh:
  7. Having the pickup too high does cause a warbling vibrato sound as it pulls on the string. If you play the upper frets (15+) and hear a sort of vibrato, the pickups should be lowered.

I believe that pickup height does affect the tone. What I mean is, a low bridge pickup and a high neck pickup will probably give it a bassier tone, while the opposite would give a trebly tone. I've not done that with my basses, but I have with a Yamaha strat copy. Being the bassist that I am, I raised the neck pickup and lowered the other 2 a lot and got a very bassy guitar tone.
  8. dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Basically, that's the same as using a blend pot, right..? What about when thinking with only a single microphone? Is it only the volume that changes (along with the string's vibrations) or does it affect tone, in any way?