Distance from String to Fingarboard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by EmbraceThePengu, Feb 11, 2004.

1. EmbraceThePengu

Jan 18, 2004
    Hey all,

I was trying to play Linus and Lucy (Penuts theam that Stu Hamm plays), and I was having a really hard time with tapping the high strings. So I took a look and noticed that the E is about 4/16 to 5/16 from the fret. Isnt this a little far? What would a good distance be?

2. si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    the distance from the strings to Fingerboard is called the action, this thread belongs in the setup forum. anyway if you search the setup forum you'll find serveral threads on setting the action on your bass.

on action: if the strings are very near the fingerboard the action is low, this makes slapping and tapping easier, it becomes increasingly harder as the action rises. too low action anyhow can produce buzzing.

i bet someone on here can help you out better than i.
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  4. A good distance would be, what feels the best for your style of playing.

Players with a light touch can get away with lower action, others need higher action to avoid rattles. Experiment with the height until the desired sound and feel is achieved.

Fender has a list of suggested heights/starting points for their basses HERE.

5. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I like it as low as I can get it without excessive buzzing. Of course this depends somewhat on the bass. But most of the time I've got it down at like 1/16".

6. EmbraceThePengu

Jan 18, 2004
    1/16? WOW... If I lower it to like 2 or 3/16, I get ALOT of buzz.. I wonder if I need to adjust my neck... Hmmm.. I will look at that...

BTW, you live in Fresno, Eh? I used to live thiere (Fruit & Herndon area), then moved to clovis (Villa and Bullard area), and now New Mexico.

Small world Eh?

7. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    1/16 is on my Zon. The neck always has the perfect amount of relief because it's graphite and the fret job is good. I have a stingray also and it's harder to get it as low. I'm thinking it's due to a couple of uneven frets.

That is a small world. I'm right around Bullard and Marks.