Distaste for dropped tuning

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FunkFlo-Mofo, Mar 21, 2002.

1. FunkFlo-Mofo

Jun 22, 2001
    It seems to me that recently, bassists that use dropped-C and dropped D tunings have hbeen getting kind of a bad rap by older and more traditional bassists, and I just wonder why? I mean, sure, most of them are metal bassists (who seem to get looked down on far too often), but why should that matter? I mean, some of these guys suck, but what about guys like Ryknow or Justin Chancellor, who, though maybe not as highly esteemed as Geddy, Jaco, Stu Hamm, or John Myung, they still bring an aspect of technicality and songwrighting to their music that, I think, shows impressive talent.
  2. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    who cares what people think. i think drop d tuning is great. you just have to use it right. anything can sound great when done right. you just need an open mind about things. i try to use every tuneing and playing style i can find. slap, double slap, frethand slapping, double stroking, tapping, d tuneing, c tuning, finger style, pick style. i am open to anything. the only think a i really dont like too much is effects.
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I don't like the way they taste either.
  4. Dan Muller

Dan Muller Guest

Sep 28, 2001
    Baltimore, Maryland
    drop d tuning is cool in my book. it seems to open up a whole new window of creativity for me, with octaves and what not. i think the best band who utilizes drop d in their music is rage against the machine. though it may be simple, it makes their music sound harder and heavier. who agrees with me here? drop d tuning is also a great way to extend into the low end if you prefer a four string (as i do).
  5. I don't have a problem with a dropped D, it can sound cool I guess, but I would never tune my 4-stringers that way, I like 'em EADG. IMO the string tension is way too sloppy when tuned to a low D and the high notes are not as high. If I wanna play a low D I just pick up my 6 string.....
  6. I don't mind them. It's the half step down tunings that kill me. For a drop tuning, you can't beat the "Everlasting Gaze" by the Smashing Pumpkins. Drop two whole steps down (C F Bb Eb) and play it on a four string. :D
  7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    not technique related... off to misc
  8. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I use drop B tuning BEADG :D
  9. I've played in metal bands for years, and we played almost exclusively dropped D. but I've been playing in my church for just over a year, and I play standard tuning there. one thing I noticed is that my ear is a lot better. I tried messing around in dropped D about a week ago, and one thing I noticed is that the intonation on the E string is way off. once you get past the 3rd fret forget about it. maybe if your bass is set up for dropped tuning you might be able to get away from this. but it was driving me crazy, kind of like someone playing a piano thats out of tune.
    anyway, I think if you play that way without having your bass set up accordingly, your ear will suffer. eventually you will get use to the slightly out of tune notes.
  10. Yeah, tuning tastes much better if it hasn't been dropped. I like mine mixed with mayo and pickles, a slice of cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mustard on two slices of wheat bread.
  11. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I like a lot of stuff that uses drop D, especially Justin's playing. He comes up with some cool lines here and there, and they make really good use of drop D as a band IMO.

For a lot of other alternate tunings though, I just reach for a five string with standard tuning. It depends though. If there's a lot of open D or E flat in the song, then the natural choice for me is a dropped down 4.

The song Blurry is a good example. On a 5 in standard tuning, you would be grounded to a limiting playing position to play the E flat octaves he sits on throughout half the song. By using a 4 in E flat tuning however, you could free up any number of playing positions for fill notes and such because you can use that open E flat now without fretting the low note.

I find a 5 in standard tuning the most versatile way to cover most stuff I play, but a dropped down 4 can be very useful in some situations.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What a moron! Anyone with half a bass knows that tuning tastes much better on rye! And skip the mayo. A sandwich just isn't a sandwich without the tangy zip of Miracle Whip.
  13. i hate drop-D. i hate how it feels and i hate having to keep retuning the E string and i hate how it messes up the fingerboard positions, but most of all i hate how it facilitates quick low, power chords for the guitarists, making the bass player redundant.

i know that there are some bands that use drop-D well, but i sure haven't played in any.
  14. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I don't hate, it's just not for me. It's not necessary for what I play. I've only had to do it once in 5 years. I detuned my E to D to play "Genius Of Love".
  15. some people think that drop-D sounds bigger, while the real trick of having real big bass is in the EQ ;)

i'll race any of you drop-D tuners with my E-tuned bass, and blow you right of stage.. :)

what actually annoys me is Talena from Kitty for instance.. tuning a 5-stringer UP to C.. that's really for bassplayers who don't know how to play.. " yeah but my guitarist also tuned to C, and this way i can see what he/she plays and play along ".... bwahahaha ! get a life kid..

if your guitarist has drop-C.. just stick with drop-B.. that way you've got an extra supprise up your sleeve.. uhm.. bass :D
  16. What he said.

On a P-bass, the low string seems to lose a lot of tone when down tuned. It's not so bad on a Jazz. But I hate those floppy strings. The most I'll down tune is all strings down 1/2 step.
  17. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm one of those "older" players (40) and I've used dropped D tuning quite a bit, so I don't have a "distaste" for it. BUT, I prefer a 5 string, the low D sounds better, and you also have the low B,C,C# and Eb available, plus an alternate place to play the E,F,F#,G and Ab.
  18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    All my p-basses are tuned to D. On the guitar, going from power chord to chord is a whole lot easier AND faster.,,,,so what, were lazy. Drop D isnt bad, e isnt bad, their just diffrent. live with it. dont use it if you dont want to, use it if you do. SIMPLE ISNT IT?
  19. Well, rye makes me break out in hives, and Miracle whip? It's a miracle anyone can eat it and live. :D
  20. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    when i first started a band...my guitarist would use standard tuning...and so did I.

then my guitarist fell in love with the Drop D tuning and since most of our songs were now based on using the note D...i tuned down so i can write stuff that sounds good with the rest of the band.

Also a plus is that my 4er is 35'' scaled..so there is less floppyness.