Distiortion. Simply put.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tames, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    Reccomendations on what I should use for distortion? The sound I want, is this: Not the SVT style hard-played crunch, but instead, a constant slight fuzz... as if it is mixed through my sidechain loop and FX blend knob. I play through an SWR Workingmans 4004 head, a 410 cab, and a 1-15 cab. I also use a Jazz bass. Any reccomendations?
  2. Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    Anymore info on this? Also, I heard about using a Big Muff pedal. Would this be good or bad?
  3. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    If you want a "constant slight fuzz" then it has to be the BOSS ODB-3. I use mine with a P-bass and can add just what you want whilst keeping the bottom end in tack. A prime example is the live sound that Jimmy Goodwin from Doves gets with his ODB-3.
  4. Isn't there a whole megathread dedicated to this and others? :rolleyes:
  5. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    Yes....but to be fair he/she is asking about a specific sound
  6. Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA

Distortions I've used... actually once I just hooked up a Boss Metal Zone distortion, and it was pretty fun. I don't necessarilly want more gain, or a compressed kind of sound or anything.

I've read that in stereo cabs you can have it set up so one set of 4 10s plays the "natural" distortion with the horn off, but has the clean bass sound through another set of 4 10s. Is that possible? Could I somehow intercept the output of the amp before it hits the speakers with some kind of signal processor, and hook say, the 4 10 cab up so it's clean, and if I switch on distortion it'll only be distorted through one cab?
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Distortion through FX loop? Bad idea. Many FX loops are line level, and lo-impedance. Most distortion pedals need to see an instrument level signal at a high impedance to sound good.

My recommendation? Wait for it... either a Mesa/Boogie VTwin or Bottle Rocket ;)
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i dunno if this is exactly what you're looking for but with a sans amp bass di you can set the drive just to where it starts to fuzz and then adjust the blend knob till the mix is right for you
    in my opinion the sans amp really doesnt sound "just like" an SVT, you can fool with the eq and drive knobs and get quite a few tones
  9. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Another one to think about for a light fuzz like you're after is the Dod 250 - there are a few threads about it if you search back.
  10. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    The Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz and Voodoo Labs Sparkledrive will both blend your clean tone with the driven/fuzzed tone, giving you the effect of half your speakers clean and half distorted - the Boss ODB3 will do this too actually. Is that what you're asking about? Also, the Boss ME50B has a drive mode where only the highs are distorted, the fundamental comes thru clean.
  11. I'm not sure about this (meaning you might be right about the "FX loops are line level, and lo-impedance" stuff,... I don't know about it). But when I used to hook up my ZOOM 9002 into the FX loop on my SWR WM 12, the distortions sounded fantastic because the FX send was giving the ZOOM a loud high gain signal. It sounded like the amp was on 11.

I would put the ditortion gain on 1 (out of 10) and be able to mix in this smooth slighty overdriven sound to my perfectly clean solid stright sound using the SWRs EX blend control. Great "loud amp" sound at any volume.

I say try it with your SWR workingmans using the blend control to dial in Clean and distorted sounds.

Also, I've had the ME-50B for the summer and LOVE it. I don't run it through the FX loop, for the reason of simplicity (two cords,... bass straight into ME-50B into amp) and also I use the T-WAH alot and I want the whole sound going to the soundman through the DI out of the amp (I know that the FX loop does NOT go to the DI with the SWR WM series,... they are all a PRE EQ DI).