1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Distored Bass (Troubles...)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by psubassist, Apr 8, 2006.

1. psubassist

psubassist

Feb 13, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hello all:

The past couple of weeks, i have noticed a distored sound when i play my Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass.

At first I thought it may have been my amp that i was playing on, that turned out not to be the case. I then went to check my cables, again, that wasn't the problem. I thought since it was an active bass, maybe that it is the battery, i changed the battery twice, and the distorted sound is still there.

I am now suspecting that it might be the actual electronics, maybe a disconnected wire or something.

Today i played a gig and while i was playing, the bass was cutting in and out and while cutting in, had a distorted sound. It goes away for a period of time, but if i play for a long period of time, like i did last night, it gets progressively more distored and quieter.

If anyone has any information on this problem, please let me know!

Thank you!

John

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Contact your Fender dealer. They can fix it for you.

3. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Maybe check the connection to the battery? Perhaps the wires have come loose off the PCB board (or whatever is in there) or perhaps it uses a poor quality battery-clip?

4. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Im guessing it is a battery issue of some sort. Active basses would cut out sound wise when the battery connects then disconnects and vice versa. Also the weak signal or grainy distortion would be a low battery power issue. I am guessing it is a weak solder joint. Have someone knowledgable with electronics take a look at it. I think this is a 20 minute job