Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distored recording...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by 555, Feb 20, 2005.

1. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    Hey all,

I am trying to record with my bass, i have:

Yamaha RBX354 via active jack ---> Laney HCM30 amp via external speaker jack ---> Toshiba Laptop via line in (mic jack)

I use cool edit pro to record and all it does is record noise, noise and more noise. Tried different jacks on my amp because i have 3 jacks "direct out" " external speaker" "head phones" External speaker seems to be the best suited because the others don't make any noise at all. I've tried adjusting my volume settings but got no where.

Can anyone tell me the most easiest and simpliest way of recording with a bass? I've read the sticky FAQ thread but it's all mumble jumbo to me :(

Thanks!

2. lowendgod

lowendgod

Feb 25, 2004
    Yakima, WA.
    have you tried plugging your bass in direct and see what that sounds like? maybe a bad cord? couple things to check but just might be a bad cable

lowendgod

3. You mention playing with volume controls, but do not say what the controls were controlling. If your soundcard is recording distortion, my first check would be to read the laptop manual, to see if you have a mic input (which will overload and distort) or a line input, (which should be OK).

If you have a mic input, you need to reduce your signal level outside the laptop. If you have a line input, you need to find out how to reduce its volume using the software mixer/volume control supplied in Windows.

If you have already done that, I'm out of ideas.

4. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    What do you mean plugging my bass into direct? plug my cable running frm my bass to the direct out jack on my amp or plugging my bass directly to my laptop "mic" jack?

I was playing with the windows volume controls, i fiddled around with the mic and volume slides on playback mode and the mic slide on recording mode but neither makes any improvements :bawl: I have a mic input (there's a picture of a microphone next to the jack) I don't think this is a problem is it? Because at home i have a PC (at university with laptop at the moment) and its a mic jack aswell at home, i've recorded some guitar parts using the same recording method and it sounds fine, it doesnt distort and surely doesnt sound like an aeroplane is directly above your head.

How do i adjust my signal level outside the laptop?

Thanks for your replies :)

5. 1) Turn down the volume on your bass, and see if that makes a difference. Turn down the volume on the amp, and see if that makes a difference.

2) Disconnect your bass setup from the PC, and connect up a personal CD or MP3 player using its headphone socket. This will give uou a continuously variable low level signal with which you can check out the sound card, and its software mixer, and confirm that what you are adjusting is actually in the signal chain.

6. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    1) I've turned downe every single volume control there, then i hit record on cool edit pro and it records a vast amount of distorted noise.

2) So it's Bass ---> amp ---> minidisc ---> minidisc ---> laptop/pc?

So i will need to run a cable from the amp (from external speaker, direct out or headphones socket) to the minidiscs head phones jack? And then how do i connect the minidisc up to my laptop after? :meh:

Thanks for all your help! :hyper:

7. I'm sorry my post was not clear.

Some laptops have a combined mic & line in, and you set the gain to suit. Some may have enough space for separate line and mic sockets, and some may not have a line-in facility at all. As I see it, that is the first thing to check. Do you still have the laptop instructions/specification, or can you Google it to find its spec?

What I suggest is that you connect a MD/CD or MP3 player to you PC input instead of your bass and/or amp. That way, you have a low level signal, with its own volume control, and you can find out whether the soundcard can record without distortion, or whether there is a fault, or some hi-gain/lo-gain switch that you haven't found yet. If you can get something (other than a microphone) to work with this PC, then you can say that it is not a PC problem. At that point we can talk about what to do with the rest of the gear.

If we confirm that your PC only has a mic input, then we have to drop the bass signal to a level that looks like a mic signal. That's not too big a deal, but let's not go there yet.

8. lowendgod

lowendgod

Feb 25, 2004
    Yakima, WA.

try plugging your bass directly into the laptop, that way you can eliminate anything else in the chain, if that is fine try your amp again and mess with settings. ? does your amp have a volume on the back for your line out??? (my ampeg does not sure if there is any others that do) if that is to high you are going to distort...

edit: also check in your recording volumes on your laptop that setting might be to high... that should be in the control panel or in your system tray (the speaker icon) i beleive go to the properties after you open the volume mixer up and go to record and then the mic in if that is what you are using and lower that down, that will bring your record levels down... if that is to high you are deffinately going to distort...

lowendgod