1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

distorion on gu**ar w/ bass amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Jan 18, 2005.

1. ok, so if i bought a distortion or an overdrive pedal. And ran a gu*tar through it into my bass combo... what would I get? would i get the sound of a normal distorted gu*tar or something else?

2. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    depending on the quality of the distortion pedal and the bass amp, yea it would work, and u would get a normalish guitar distortion sound. most/all bass amps can handle guitar signals pretty well. of course, running it through a guitar amp would generally sound better.

3. i've tried it before, i get the same sound, only with a few of the lower frequencies emphasized (it IS a bass amp) it still sounds good imo

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I know if I run my Les Paul through my halfstack it is incredibly thick on damn near every setting. For a wall-o-sound setting I crank the drive on my Sansamp, add Presence to taste (usually around 1 for a sharp, thick fuzz), Blend to three, Bass and Mids to about 2, Treble to about 12; That's my overdrive channel and I will step on a Big Muff for heavy riffing.

Also remember Josh Homme (QOTSA, Kyuss) used to use a Ampeg bass amp for his guitar sound with Kyuss. The Fender Bassman was designed to be a bass amp, but it got appropiated by the classic bluesmen.

I think the only downsides of this setup is:

A. Most guitar amps are multi channel; this is one
    B. I can't a get a great clean channel tone
    C. No reverb or tremolo; pretty common on guitar amps
    D. Average bass amp/cab is heavier than a guitar amp/cab

Upsides:
    A. Loud, crunchy, and super thick
    B. Cheaper than buying a seperate guitar amp to play through

If you are dedicated to both I would recommend a seperate amp for git; as your rig might not enjoy double duty.