Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

distorion on gu**ar w/ bass amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Jan 18, 2005.

1. ok, so if i bought a distortion or an overdrive pedal. And ran a gu*tar through it into my bass combo... what would I get? would i get the sound of a normal distorted gu*tar or something else?

2. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    depending on the quality of the distortion pedal and the bass amp, yea it would work, and u would get a normalish guitar distortion sound. most/all bass amps can handle guitar signals pretty well. of course, running it through a guitar amp would generally sound better.

3. i've tried it before, i get the same sound, only with a few of the lower frequencies emphasized (it IS a bass amp) it still sounds good imo

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I know if I run my Les Paul through my halfstack it is incredibly thick on damn near every setting. For a wall-o-sound setting I crank the drive on my Sansamp, add Presence to taste (usually around 1 for a sharp, thick fuzz), Blend to three, Bass and Mids to about 2, Treble to about 12; That's my overdrive channel and I will step on a Big Muff for heavy riffing.

Also remember Josh Homme (QOTSA, Kyuss) used to use a Ampeg bass amp for his guitar sound with Kyuss. The Fender Bassman was designed to be a bass amp, but it got appropiated by the classic bluesmen.

I think the only downsides of this setup is:

A. Most guitar amps are multi channel; this is one
    B. I can't a get a great clean channel tone
    C. No reverb or tremolo; pretty common on guitar amps
    D. Average bass amp/cab is heavier than a guitar amp/cab

Upsides:
    A. Loud, crunchy, and super thick
    B. Cheaper than buying a seperate guitar amp to play through

If you are dedicated to both I would recommend a seperate amp for git; as your rig might not enjoy double duty.