Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distorted amp...help!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Apr 24, 2004.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I never thought this would happen to me, but, it is :bawl:

Anyway when i play (even when i gently finger, but NOT when i slap), my speaker on my Peavey TNT 115BW distorts.

But, this happens all the time. I can have the master on 5, and the pre-gain on 1, or visa verca, it ALWAYS happens!! Ive tried everything, cutting out my effects, using a flat eq (on the amp and the bass) and nothing.

This is really starting to annoy me, and i suspect its doing some damage. Can anyone help?

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Try changing the batteries in your bass(es)? :smug:

3. No kidding, I read about all the trouble people have had with their cabs/heads/combos this week, made me glad I owned peavey. You're shaking my confidence.

You could try narrowing it down some more, using a different input (bass, tv, stereo...), different cables, hooking up an extension cab (or any speaker really) to see if it's the speaker and not the amp... Electronics are over my head if it's the amp that's really toasted. Let's hope it's batteries as stated above.

4. Its time for some detective work. How old is the amp? When did you first notice the change? What were the playing conditions and settings at the time? Always start with your weakest link, in this case a battery if your bass is so equipped. Once those go dead it can sound like youve blown the whole rig. Then try a different instrument or input device and see how it sounds.
    Best of luck and Ill cross my fingers for you that it will be something minor.

5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    My bass is active, and i DID leave the lead plugged in all night once, so ill change that and see if it happens. Hmm..now that you mention it, it probably is the battery. Ive had the amp for about 12 months now, and it was new(ish) when i got it.

6. Tez

Tez

Jan 24, 2004
    Australia
    Had a similer prob with a 15" black widow It turned out to be some crap inside the speaker it was sitting against the aluminium heat dome, so whenever the it moved the grit would dance around like rice on a drum. I found it when I removed the Magnet (Driver ) off the basket, to see whether the coils had burnt out. the trouble with peavey speakers is the Grill on the back of the driver is to large a weave and it lets grit in , so after blowing the crap out and refitting the Driver the problem was gone so give it a go lets know if it was the problem

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia