1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Distorted Guitar through Bass Amp...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by santucci218, Mar 1, 2008.

1. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    It wouldnt hurt anything...right?

I want to buy a guitar and distortion pedal, but i dont feel like dropping the cash on a separate amp at the moment.

2. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    Nope, wont hurt a thing. In fact itll be fine. Just keep in mind its a guitar and turn down from your normal levels before shredding.

3. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    im sorry i didnt get how you worded that last part...try again please?

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    since i sold my twin reverb, ive been using my little crate 15w bass amp for guitar noodling and i tried it once or twice through my b15 but i never really cranked it on the b15. the crate i didnt care if i messed it up because ive had the thing as long as ive been playing and its all kinds of beat up from being dragged around to every dorm room/apartment ive been in the last few years. its actually serving as a foot stool right now for when i play the b15 haha.

as said above, just remember not to crank it and you shouldn't hurt your speakers.

5. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    well i have a 750 watt head, no need to crank it =]

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I think what he's saying or noticed is that at the same levels guitar is a lot louder. It's got a lot more going on in the midrange where the ear is most sensitive, everything shifted up an octave - and often the pickups have a higher average output as well.

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    It won't hurt the speakers. Decent bass speakers/cabs can handle a lot more than say an open-backed guitar cab would handle were a bass put through it.

8. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    thank you :p

off to buy a guitar!

9. Yeah, just turn down the amp. 50W from a guitar is more than enough to push SPL to deafening levels.

10. Rivers from Weezer used bass cabs for his guitar when he first started Weezer, not sure if he's still using them.

[​IMG]

11. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    At the Birdsong Gathering last year, I heard Scott Beckwith run his EJ guitar prototype through a cheap broken distortion pedal and a Hartke 30watt. He also leans towards playing guitar through a GK 400RB.

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    I've jammed with some low-tuning gui****00dz that used ported bass cabs and big tube heads. Hated 'em - they really tried to contest ya for the low end turf.

13. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I played guitar at a gig last night using my GK head and Bergantino cab. Just fine.

14. Yeap. It works fine. One of the guys I jam with plays a Les through his board and and old Peavey 115. Gets Uber-loud for a 50w bass combo...
    Be prepared for some EQ tweaking though, leaving everything flat tends to result in quite unpleasant tone. It usually needs some bass roll-off and a little high-mid bump...

Just my .2...

15. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    It'll be fine - lots of guitarists use bass cabs.