Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distorted Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by raised_fist, Jun 27, 2004.

1. raised_fist

raised_fist Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Hey guys,
    Yesterday I went and bought a 1978 Jazz Bass. It is unreal to play and I fell in love with it straight away.
    The bass is fitted with a pair of SD basslines (unsure of the model) and they are covered in rust. I was told not to worry about it because it wont affect the sound.
    So I was slapping away through my GK 700rb head, GK 4x10 and GK 1x15, and the second I slapped the open E string... BLLAWWWWWWWWWWWWHHNNNGGG. An overamped sounding, distorted E.

At first I thought that it was physically smacking on the pickup, but after watching it, it isn't at all. All the other strings are fine, just that old E string.
    What could it be? I have never had experiences with SD pickups before, only EMG. Could this be a rust problem?

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Try some CLR :p.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I would try to lower the pickup height and/or strings height. It might just need a good set up.

BTW, nice looking bass. :)

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  5. fragcon

fragcon

Jun 23, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    If the pickup is too high it causes a problem like this i think. Its like when the pickup cannnot sense the string correctlu because it is too close. Lower it on the E string side.

6. I agree, maybe just drop the pickup down on the E string side to begin with, see if that stops the problem.......

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. raised_fist

raised_fist Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    thanks for your help, guys.
    I dropped it down a fair bit yesterday, and it still does it.
    A huge pop/click on that old E string...

8. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Is it okay when you slap fretted notes on the E? If it's only the open string, I'd guess the nut is slotted too low for your attack.

At any rate, do a good setup.

To get rid of the rust on the pole pieces, try spinning a regular ol' pencil eraser on 'em.

9. raised_fist

raised_fist Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Nah it was anything on the E, hey.
    I went and got the pickup dropped, and it didn't help. So I went back and got the pickup dropped some more, and now the problem is completely gone.
    thanks again duuuuuuuuuuuudes!