Distorted mids (only)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Zbysek, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Could you please elaborate? I have looked at the Microtubes X and don't see that it would do what I plan to do: send separate clean full-range signal and distorted mids-only signals to the board... Thank you.

2. Why go through the trouble of separating the signal and depending on soundguys to get your sound right when you can mix the two within the pedal though? The x has high pass and low pass filters. And a clean blend. No need for over complicating the signal chain

Zbysek likes this.
  3. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    One reason: because I believe that giving the sound tech control over my signal(s) is best for the band.

Our band has the luxury of having qualified sound tech who is travelling with us and participates at some rehearsals so we can work together on our band's sound design.

Between me and him, he is the one who is better able to "get my sound right" (as you put it) because he is in the audience and hears what works in the band's mix and in the particular room...and what does not work.

Giving him blended signal would limit his ability to adjust based on how the two signals work in the mix. I would do the blending it case we wouldn't have dedicated sound tech... But consider it a sub-optimal solution.

Btw: my understanding of the Microtubes X manual is that the low pass filter applies to clean signal, not to dirty signal...so there is not a possibility to blend clean full range signal with the dirt and there is no LPF on the drive signal... But the manual is not entirely clear on this, so I might be wrong.

rufus.K likes this.
  4. Well regardless of what the manual says I have the pedal and it does what it seems like you’re looking to do The darkglass x series is based off of the b7k/b3k drive. They started with that b3k drive, tweaked it a bit and added the additional features. The b7k drive already had the upper highs removed. So the dirt on the x does have lows AND highs removed.

As for the soundguy thing. I wouldn’t limit my setup to one soundguy personally.

5. OptimalOptimus

OptimalOptimus

Jan 4, 2019
    Canada
    Then your option is to split thé signal in two and EQ them to your liking…

Zbysek likes this.
  6. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I have listened to several sound clips and it seems to me that there are no clean highs getting through... which is what I want.

I have different board for each of my bands. So I can tailor it to particular band's needs...

7. Just seems weird. I mean I even play slap bass with my x where I want that clean high frequency bite. Don’t seem to have that issue. You don’t have to low pass the cleans. It is adjustable.

8. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    This is what the manual says about LPF: "Ranging from 50Hz (for only sub-bass) and 500Hz to preserve some clean mids."

No mention about possibility to preserve clean highs...

https://www.darkglass.com/app/uploads/2018/10/Manual-Microtubes-X-Web.pdf

9. Ok ok I see where the misunderstanding is. Yes the low pass isBut the dirty tone is already low passed and you don’t have
    when the low pass is at 500 it sounds like there’s plenty of highs to me. One of the confusing things I think some people have about the x is that the the low pass is for the cleans and the high pass is for the dirt. But the dirt is already low passed. So seems you’re wanting like 2k in your clean tone.which is basically what the b7k does

Zbysek likes this.
  10. Sounds like the b7k is more what you want. Check out this video around 6:30. Is that the kind of vibe you’re looking for?

11. Zbysek likes this.
  12. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    What I want to do is what he said he was doing on "album recordings" (at 6:35): split the signal and distort only mids... The only difference being that he said he was distorting only the high mids while I want to distort both low and high mids...

13. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    No, not really. I want my whole clean signal incl. frequencies above 2kHz...

14. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Hmm- definitely not my experience. In fact I found turning down the High channel and just using the clean Low channel was pretty much a Motown or Dub tone even with the filter all the way up. That was my biggest issue with that pedal (I feel like both filters should have been adjustable through the entire bass frequency range, but the clean Low channel in particular definitely needed to go at least into the high-mids for the tones I wanted from it).

Zbysek likes this.
  15. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Yeah, that’s what I would expect based on the information from the manual (I have no personal experience with the pedal)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  16. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    That’s the plan, Sir!

17. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Denver, CO
    If interested, you might reach out to Schalltechnik to see if he still has any available as the Omnilooper would do this nicely IME- instead of using the high-pass as a loop, you can just use it as an EQ’ed send to your drive pedal(s) then to the soundguy and the normal out can have your 2nd signal (then you’d also have a third low-pass loop to play with as well!). It’s just a fantastic utility pedal with lots of cool uses and pretty cheap compared to similar alternatives. He did only sell them as DIY projects though, so you’d need to assemble yourself.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    Zbysek likes this.
  18. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Yes, Omnilooper looks great. If I would blend the signals, I would seriously consider it…

19. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Like I said- if you just use the “Send” jack it will just be a filtered (hi-passed or lo-passed depending on channel) copy of the input, so it does most of what you need. Though it won’t isolate the mids to only the dirty channel, if that’s what you are going for (which would potentially be a better choice because of potential phase issues that happen when blending different types of signals). If I was using the Omnilooper for such a thing I’d probably put an EQ in the high-pass loop with a compressor to scoop out the mids to be blended with the dirty high-passed channel.

Zbysek likes this.
  20. I’ve seen that kind of setup done. Friend of mine does it with a big shot aby to split the signal. Then his drive of the day usually the mxr or the sans amp bass driver, and his clean signal goes to a radial pro di. Heres a shot of his board. F69FE1DE-1F09-4668-84E7-36CD25654B76.jpeg

The guy I know who does that plays cover gigs and he supplies the PA and runs his own sound. That’s how he’s able to do it. So if you guys have someone who runs sound for you all the time it’ll work.

Zbysek likes this.