Distorted mids (only)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Zbysek, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Yes, that's exactly what I have been doing when the guitar player takes solo. It works well...but I have started to feel the need to have one more different approach-it feels boring if there is octaver in every solo. That's why I came with the plan discussed in this thread...

Nashrakh likes this.
  2. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    If I had separate HPF and LPF pedals, I would put HPF before dirt and LPF after dirt...the same way filters are placed in the Broughton FFXL.

https://www.broughtonaudio.com/product-page/filter-fx-loop

Since I have HPF/LPF combo pedal, I need to make a decision where to place it...

3. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I might try to use the (semi)parametric mids to cut some more frequencies just above 190Hz…

4. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Last night, I experimented with my setup at home. I tried to put RFE before the tube preamp. I verified two things:

1. I have to set the gain on the tube preamp much higher in order to achieve overdrive.

2. I have to set the LPF much lower in order to control high end content.

Both things make sense and I expected them. I will see how this set up works at the band rehearsal tomorrow.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  5. Windreaper

Windreaper

Mar 9, 2008
    Yes, there's a lot of energy below 200Hz, so more gain is needed to compensate.

The drive is going to generate additional upper harmonics, so you're going to want a LPF (or a cab sim) after the drive - from the mixing board or whatever. If that is not an option, putting the RFE after the dirt and using the mid control as an additional low cut is a good idea.

Zbysek likes this.
  6. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Yeah, that's what I was experiencing yesterday. Even with LPF set at 1.5kHz (RFE in front of the tube preamp), there was a lot of high frequencies in the overdriven sound.

Our band uses digital mixer so there is LPF available.

I will talk to the soundtech tomorrow and will see what he prefers. My original intention was to send him low-passed signal. That's why I planned to place RFE after the preamp. But he might prefer broader frequency range to work with... I will see.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  7. Great thread!

Lots of ideas being put out there, hopefully you find what's going to work for your needs/ears.

I'd really like an Omnilooper, as per @sunbeast's suggestion, but alas I missed the boat as Schalltechnik_04 has ceased operations (though the information/build-guides etc are being kept online).

I hesitated on the Omnilooper because I've got the VFE Klein Bottle Kits.
    Phase and both HPF/LPF on each channel:

[​IMG]

Zbysek and sunbeast like this.
  8. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I’d also love to have one of those to play around with! Lots of cool utilities in that thing

Zbysek likes this.
  9. labeledbass

labeledbass Supporting Member

May 24, 2015
    I use a hand full of Broughton High and Low pass filters along with a Switchblade 8F, I can place the filters wherever I want and the 8F has the ability to run analog parallel paths (without sacrificing a single physical port), unlimitedly really, inside the switcher. So, for each "loop" I use on the 8F I add another parallel line. One of the great things about the 8F is it has amazingly clear buffers on all inputs and outputs, so (along with the affected side) the extra parallel line can be adjusted from null all the way to 0db, making it very easy to blend the perfect amount of direct line. ALL of the buffers can be controlled via midi and expression too, if I wanted to adjust the blend on the fly.

I've sold all my blenders, and the 5 FFXLoops I had previously, the 8F takes care of everything. The way I can quiet down OD harshness and gate and limit my fuzz line is just amazing now. With the filters placed strategically I can tailor each FX loop exactly the way I want. Being able to rearrange all my pedals is awesome too. I definitely see myself getting another 8F or the double rack unit in the future.

Zbysek likes this.
  10. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Looks awesome!

labeledbass likes this.
  11. Naigewron

Naigewron

Jan 5, 2018
    Norway
    Just found this thread after searching for other peoples' experiences with this approach. I just started experimenting with overdriving my mids too.

My backstory and reasoning: I love a lot of top-end clarity and string/fret attack on my clean tones, but I would like to add just a little bit of grit. However, any drive that I added did one of two things:

1: Filtered out a lot of high end, meaning that I lost my clarity and attack
    Or
    2: Distorted my top-end, making it unpleasantly fizzy and harsh, and making my initial attack go from a slight fret click to a distorted, unpleasant CLANK

At the moment I'm doing this filtering in my HX Stomp. I split my path in two, leaving my clean path unaffected. My other path I run through a bit of light, soft-clipping drive (a Tube Screamer at the moment), and then I run a Low and High Cut effect right after the drive, before blending my two paths together.

My current EQ bandwidth for the drive path is 200-2500Hz, which gives me a really pleasant, warm, tube-ish grit, while keeping all my low-end clean, and staying completely out of the way of my high-end transients and clarity.

Currently I'm using this to get a really pleasing tone for jamming at home, where I don't have to worry about the full band mix. However, I'm definitely going to be experimenting with this in my band too. We're essentially a 3-piece (bass, drums, guitars - The singer doesn't play an instrument), and my guitar player favours a pretty bright tone, leaving a lot of room for me to fill out the mix.

Further experimentation is definitely needed, but results are promising. Once I get my setup dialled in a bit more I might make a little demo.

Zbysek likes this.
  12. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Thank you for sharing your experience.

That has been my experience as well.

My situation is very similar- there's four of us: drums, basss, guitar and violin. The sound is reasonably full as long as the guitarist plays chords and sings. But once he takes a solo, there is a lot of room in the mids for me to fill. He uses Fender Stratocaster and his sound is bright.

Exactly my approach-even the freqency range is as I planned it. The only thing which I need to consider is that I have the band-pass filter currently placed before the overdrive...so I need to set the LPF lower (as the overdrive creates higher frequencies when pushed).

Yeah, I will keep experimenting.
    I would be interested to hear your demo. Let's share our findings in this thread. Take care.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
    Naigewron likes this.
  13. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Me too!

Correct me if I'm wrong...it's been discontinued, right?