1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Distorted: P-Bass or a Ricky???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KronRider, Jun 23, 2002.

Choose your Weapon....

Poll closed Jun 28, 2002.
  1. P- bass

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Ricky

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. KronRider

KronRider

Jun 5, 2002
    Miami
    Which bass would be preferred plugged into an old school SVT with the gain "on 11" ?????? :eek:

2. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno, with the Overdriven SVT...I'm temped to say a Rick, because they have more treble, inherently, which are more "distortable"...that is, they have definition, and not mud of say a distorted B string might have.

OTOH, because it's the amp being overdriven, not a ceap pedal, the P might do just as well.

Your call.

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    being a fan or both basses tou mentioned i'd say that they are really different wen used on a cranked SVT. i'd say that the one the gain much tone is the rick. i'd say this because to my ears the P sounds great in every situation and with every amp, while Rick is not so good with every amp. the combo SVT+Rick is a killer one, but i'd say that the P is always a pleasure! if you want a more gritty and distorted sound go with a rick, a 4001 with bypass surgery, otherwise a P will never fail.

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    hmm...

i never could get into ricks no matter how hard i tried.

i thought that the tone was awful when i went through an swr.

but when i listen to pre-chancellor tool, i think to myself "damn, how'd paul d'amour get a rick to sound so bad-***?"

i thought the rick sounded "smooth and jazzy" every time i played it.

i guess it really is dependant on the amp.

as for your question, i'm no help.

but am i really one...ever?

:D

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

There is no absolute answer to this question. For *me*, P-bass and SVT is like Jack and Coke, gin and tonic, Guinness and Bass (not all six at once though... :D)

But I sometimes used to play my friend's Ricky 4001 through my SVT rig and that sounded righteous too.