Distorted: P-Bass or a Ricky???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KronRider, Jun 23, 2002.

Choose your Weapon....

Poll closed Jun 28, 2002.
  1. P- bass

10 vote(s)
  2. Ricky

12 vote(s)
  1. KronRider

Jun 5, 2002
    Which bass would be preferred plugged into an old school SVT with the gain "on 11" ?????? :eek:
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno, with the Overdriven SVT...I'm temped to say a Rick, because they have more treble, inherently, which are more "distortable"...that is, they have definition, and not mud of say a distorted B string might have.

OTOH, because it's the amp being overdriven, not a ceap pedal, the P might do just as well.

Your call.
  3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    being a fan or both basses tou mentioned i'd say that they are really different wen used on a cranked SVT. i'd say that the one the gain much tone is the rick. i'd say this because to my ears the P sounds great in every situation and with every amp, while Rick is not so good with every amp. the combo SVT+Rick is a killer one, but i'd say that the P is always a pleasure! if you want a more gritty and distorted sound go with a rick, a 4001 with bypass surgery, otherwise a P will never fail.
  4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

i never could get into ricks no matter how hard i tried.

i thought that the tone was awful when i went through an swr.

but when i listen to pre-chancellor tool, i think to myself "damn, how'd paul d'amour get a rick to sound so bad-***?"

i thought the rick sounded "smooth and jazzy" every time i played it.

i guess it really is dependant on the amp.

as for your question, i'm no help.

but am i really one...ever?

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

There is no absolute answer to this question. For *me*, P-bass and SVT is like Jack and Coke, gin and tonic, Guinness and Bass (not all six at once though... :D)

But I sometimes used to play my friend's Ricky 4001 through my SVT rig and that sounded righteous too.