1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

distorted sound when playing with a pick

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by skoti89, May 1, 2006.

1. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    I play punk with a pick, I just set up my bass, a little to low for me, alot of buzz, but I ill change it. my problem is, i set the bass back to the properfactory string height, but no matter how low i set my pickups( as low as they go), i get a distorted sound from my neck pickup(never even from the bridge pup, unless the string is basically resting on the pup)

so, when i pick fast, all i get is a crappy sound. when i slap, all i get is an annoying pop.

i just raised m action, but it stil does it
    help!!

2. charic

charic

Apr 17, 2006
    Cambridge
    Check the most basic thing first.. the wire!! lol overlooked way to often

3. Prolly a problem with the cable or the amp.

4. Isn't that the "jazz bass growl" that I hear people raving about? :)

5. try turning down your tone and volume pots. it sound like the grounding wire is loose to me, have a look under your bridge and the pots, that might be it.

6. Check your battery if you've got an active bass. They'll start to clip when the battery get low, and it's possible that your pick is just that much louder than your fingers.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Could be the battery.

Maybe your amp is clipping. You shouldnt be getting distortion.

8. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm thinking it's your amp. Turn the amp way down and try picking again. Is it still distorting? Are you seeing clips lights (usually red light flashing on the control panel when you play hard)? If this is the case...Try putting a compressor inline before the amp. This will dampen the attack of the pick so your amp doesn't overload.