1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

distorted sound when playing with a pick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skoti89, May 1, 2006.

1. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    I play punk with a pick, I just set up my bass, a little to low for me, alot of buzz, but I ill change it. my problem is, i set the bass back to the properfactory string height, but no matter how low i set my pickups( as low as they go), i get a distorted sound from my neck pickup(never even from the bridge pup, unless the string is basically resting on the pup)

so, when i pick fast, all i get is a crappy sound. when i slap, all i get is an annoying pop.

i just raised my action, but it stil does it. I play a fender deluxe active jazz, american noiseless pickups
    help!! please!

2. What're your EQ settings, both on the bass, and on your amp?

3. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    uhm, i never stick with any thing in particular, and i expirement alot.
    i dont really know how to tell you

4. take it to a proffesional

5. When's the last time you changed the battery?

6. Its gods way of telling you not to play with a pick:D

just kidding.

7. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    May haps, it's a sign to not slap either. Ok, just kidding. I'd say fiddle with the EQ, maybe things are just too boosted. I think it's that, because the neck pickup is bassier, and from my experience the more bass in the tone, the quicker things distort. It could also be that your amp distorts easily. In that case, you need a different amp if you want play at the volume you want without distortion. Check the setting first, I think you've got too much low end in your tone.

8. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Do you have an Active/Passive switch on your amp????

9. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    sound like your pre-amp has too much gain for the front end of your amplifier. I have the same problem, I pick with all down strokes but like vinne paul says "if it ain't in the red it ain't metal". Just back down the pre amp gain on your amp.

10. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    its fairly new, energizer E squared lithium. i guess those things last forever.

11. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    yeah, actually the bass eq knob on my jazz is broken, it is stuck on all the way boosted. but on my amp the bass is turned very low

12. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    well, my amp is a very simple amp. it has a volume for the clean, a volume for the distortion, then a master volume.im assuming that the clean volume might be pregain? and then the overall master is postgain?