Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distorting Bottom end?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lil'bass, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Ive recently got a warwick corvette FNA jazzman. It is the first active bass i have used, but when i play the bottom end as hard as usual it tends to distort. Im playing it through an ampeg svt 3 pro with a svt410hlf cab. Ive tried lowering the pickup slightly at the bottom end, ive also tried dropping the bass, and changing the battery. It just seems to be kicking out too much signal at the bottom end. Any suggestions? Please help if you can...im going on tour soon :oops:(

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Maybe lower the volume on the bass and use the amps volume?

3. Thanks mate, i'll try that. Do you think there could be problems with my pickup? I wouldn't expect a warwick to cause too many problems! Would you recommend converting to passive?

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    If it has it, be sure to engage the +-10dB pad on the amp. You could be clipping the preamp when you hit the low notes.

5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Does the "Peak" light come on when it distorts? If it does, push in your -15db pad (Right under the "bright" switch), and re-adjust your gain. That seems to be the problem. If it's not lighting up, still turn down your gain.

6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Ha!! Its 15dB on the Ampegs, eh? My Sunn 300T is +-10dB, I believe. Of course, it's been so long since I've seen it, I could be mistaken :(

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you attenuate the signal at the amp and it still distorts, try lowering the pickups some more. You wrote that you have a fresh battery, so if the signal is coming out of the bass distorted, the pickups are driving the internal preamp too hard.

8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Take that Ty!

9. Ive tried the -15db button, but i have to then turn the master up to nearly full. But again at that bottom end its still distorting a little. Any other suggestions? Should i ring the ol boys at warwick?

10. Are you sure you are not confusing distortion for the usual slightly muddy ampeg sound?

11. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    That was my thought.

Also, where do you have the tube gain set? If you have the tube gain at 10, it wouldn't surprise me if the sound was a little bit distorted;)

Lastly, how do you have the low EQ from the Warwick set (assuming it has one--you said it was active)?

12. Hey Lil'bass I have the same bass and the same amp with a 410HE cab and I know exactly what are you talking about. There are so me way on how to fix that. one is lowering the bass boost becuase that preamp is killer it boosts a lot also you wanted to know how to use it as passive. just pull the volume knob and it will work as passive.(works amazing) and 3 lower the pickups a bit more.

ps: what color did you get (the bass) i have it in Honey violin I'll post pix soon I love the bass very punchy and growl-y amazing bass.

13. Hey groove tools, Yeah im totally loving my bass at the moment!! Ive found if i cut the volume on the bass by bout a quarter and let the head do the work it sounds great!! Didnt know bout that passive option...thats fantastic thanks for letting me know. I got the natural coloured one and i love it, i'll try and post some pics soon. Check out my bands website if you like www.thedeparture.com. Thanx again for your help.