1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Distorting when i dont want it to

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Apr 25, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    sometimes, when i play really hard i seem to get a bit of crackling/distortion for a fraction of a second at the start of the note.

I know i have a distortion mod, but it still crackles/distorts when i have the distortion circuit completely bypassed

any ideas?

im thinking loose wiring, any other suggestions or comments?

2. Is the string hitting the pickup?
    Is the bass tone of your amp up to high?

3. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    i would guess this is most liekly an amp issue over a pickup problem.

4. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    i decided to boost it and got this problem.

is this likely to be the cause? or is it just a coincidence

EDIT; thanks for the suggestion, ive fixed it now

5. When you turn down the bass on the amp does the problem leave?

I know to much bass on my amp can make it distort.

6. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

yeah turning down bass fixed it.

damn, i really liked that fat rich sound, i just couldent play very hard otherwise it would distort

7. Thunder Lizard

Thunder Lizard

Dec 7, 2005
    Lethbridge, AB
    Canadian Distributor, Basson Sound Equipment
    A compressor might help... take the transient to a more reasonable level, and maybe you can have some of the fat back?

8. I had a similar situation with my MMSR5 (active) and my SVT II pro - I would be playing along nicely then decide to dig in and get distortion. At first I thought it was the nature of the Ampeg - warm = slightly distorted... NOT.

Turns out I need to engage the -15db switch since my bass' signal was so hot. Once I did that I could crank the SVT up as much as I wanted and NO DISTORTION.

Do you have a -15db switch on your amp?

9. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I have this problem with my Bongo 5. The only way to avoid it on (this) bass is by lowering the bass knob on the bass itself, or turning the volume down 50% on the basses' volume knob. All this includes the padded input already. I don't know why EB made this preamp soooo hot.
    I know it's the preamp because if the bass volume is up, but the amp volume is very low, there is still distortion overdriving the preamp. I hate playing my bass at half volume.
    (yes it has fresh batts);)