Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distorting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lecollectif, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Lecollectif

Lecollectif

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    So, I rented a head and cab to gig with. I don't know much about these things.

It's a Yamaha B100-115 III with a Trace Elliot 4x10.

Now, when we were playing on saturday, the distortion was horrible. But to be completely honest, I have NO idea how to make it loud and clean. It's a rental, so I don't want to break it.

How do I make this thing loud and clear. It has a volume section and two paramatic EQs.

Also, what does the crossover do?

Help!

Thanks.

2. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Since distortion can be introduced at several points in the chain, it is hard to pinpoint where the problem you encountered really occurred. For starters, leave the crossover off - that's for biamping and with the set up you described, you probably do not want to biamp. Next, if the amp has an input volume (preamp) and a master volume, try turning the preamp volume down and the master up. This is even more important with an active bass (battery) because the bass can overpower the input more readily. Next, consider the tone cotrols and start with them all set flat. Sometimes the distortion is due to too much low bass as it's rare to have too much treble cause heavy distortion on a bass (but still possible). If a flat eq, no crossover, low preamp volume and high main/master volume still produce distortion, check your cables. A short in a cable can sound really bad too. Finally, there could be a short in one of the cabinets (or the amp) or there could be blown speakers. It can be a pain in the neck and somewhat time consuming to keep switching each piece out, but it is a foolproof method of finding the source, i.e., swap basses, bass cable, speaker cables, cabinet(s), & amp section one at a time.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    How loud do you think it should be?

It isn't a very powerful rig. If you are playing with a loud guitar and drummer, you could easily push that amp into distortion.

4. Lecollectif

Lecollectif

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Thanks guys.

Well it has one volume control and the "level" knobs in the parametric EQs seem to affect the volume.

It could also be that the rig just isn't powerful enough. I would've never imagined that what I'm playing through wouldn't be loud enough. But I guess it's entirely possible. Next time I should mic or DI it I guess? I'm really new at all of this.

Here's a picture I took with my webcam with a bit of my very own labelling just to give you a better sense of what the thing looks like. The labelling is in the order of the knobs in their respective sections. So what should I try?

5. Lecollectif

Lecollectif

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    *bump*

I know it's a pain in the ass to explain things to people who don't know what they're doing. But, if anyone has just a wee bit of patience, you'd make my week.

Thanks.