Distortion - A worthy buy?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Jul 11, 2005.

1. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    So I've been reading up on a few threads and I'm interested in buying a Big Muff Pi for my setup. Is distortion a worthy buy? I mentioned to my drummer I was thinking about buying a distortion pedal and he basically gave me the no-no; his reasoning being that I don't use effects at all, so why would I need any effects. Weird reasoning if you ask me.

Anywho, should I get the big muff pi? Can somebody really convince me?

Where should I go to get one? I signed up for ebay last night (after reading the threads on the muff :D ), but my guitarist told me to go on musicianfriend and just buy a US made one. Russian or US?

The choices! :bawl:
  2. Well, tell him to go back to his roots and start banging rocks together, why would he need anything else?!?! That's specious reasoning, bordering on hypocritical.

Go for it dude, distortion done right is one of the least obtrusive effects for bass. It just sits there barely noticeable until you wang on it a bit.

Nothing should stand in between you and a new timbre.

My opinion should not matter to you. Just get out there and try 'em all until you find one that you like! Trying crap loads of effects is one of the best things about going to a music store!
  3. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Well I mean the good news was that he said my lines are "stank" (his word for good) enough that I don't need effects. :smug:
  4. Hey man, that's great! But how do you think Monet would be remembered these days if he'd only had green paint to work with and nothing else?!

colour on your palette, feather in your bow (or boa, not that there's anything wrong with that...) etc.

You might not need effects, but sounds to me like you want effects. Just don't expect a pedal to make you sound great. Gotta keep up the good work in the brain department as well!
  5. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I find distortion to be the least useful effect on a bass. I know I am in a minority feeling this way, but in the styles I play guitars are always heavily distorted. The last thing I want to do is sound more like the guitars, so distortion just ends up masking me.

It is fun to play with now and again though.
  6. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i like distortions, ive got heaps of them. i would say that buying one off ebay is fine, otherwise yeah you can buy them from mf or m123 for like $50 US.. i think the big muff pi is the US made one. if your interested in hearing some examples of big muff on bass listen to chris wolstenholme of muse, especially dead star and hysteria (apparently he uses 2 big muffs in a row in that song). i believe he uses the russian big muff.

EDIT: ps big muff is really more of a fuzz! but it sounds great anyway, good luck.
  7. uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Hi mate

First of all: I don't understand that ur drummer told you effects on bass is a no-go. But each to his own I guess.

Would like to point out that Big Muff isn't really a distortion, but a Fuzz instead. I don't know if you've tried the big muff? I have tried it and it seemed to me that you don't have to twist the knops too much to get it rrreeeaaally fuzzy, but that's just me.

Now if you're going to buy a big muff I can highly recommend you buying the Russian model instead of the US one. I've tried both and to me it seems like the US is a bit more, umm.. "sharp"? Don't know if its more mid-rangy, but the Russian model sounded better to me on the bass at least.

If you want a distortion I would wait a bit and see how T-Rex BassJuice sounds maybe. :hyper:
  8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The Muff Pi is a fuzz.

I tried one of those Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drives in GC. They have them for $99 right now. It's more like an OD. But it sounded very nice and warm.

I use a Bass Driver myself and am happy with it. Plenty of bite for my applications.
  9. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Sorry guys, I tend to get distortion and fuzz confused. So if I want that fuzz sound then a Big Muff Pi would be what I'm looking for?
  10. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    i just bought my boss DS-1 .. its really awesome, maintain the low end growl, and also boosts a lot of signal
  11. dude, your drummer is playing an insturment that relies on acoustic surroundings. If you've ever recorded, tell him the EQ, compression, and reverbs he's always used on drum tracks are effect. And besides, why are you listening to someone else on the way you want to sound?

My advice would be go down to the GC with your bass, and if possible, your amp, and see all the distortion pedals they have (guitar AND bass. You never know which one's you'll like) and just try them all out.
  12. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    My guitarist bought peddle's and he's let me plug my bass into them and they sound great in them, He has a boss od-3 I think? And a boss flanger peddle. The boss Od-3 is distortion peddle, it has so many diffrent effects its nuts, I recomend that. I dont think its an Od-3, but its a yellow peddle and has 2 peddles, one for effect on and off and the other is to flip through the memory. Just look on www.musiciansfriend.com
  13. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    I'd suggest a Marshall Guvnor pedal... it's pretty versatile, lots of control, and beats many others in it's price range tone-wise. Just rgabbed one for $40 and i'm thrilled with it! Probably more useful than Big Muff, but that's a personal thing.
  14. Danelectro Daddy-O- subtle if you want, ugly if you like. Me & Larry Graham use it(so I'm told). It seems like EVERYONE else has a Sansamp BDDI. For the difference between distortion, fuzz, overdrive, etc, go to GC & play one of each. When the salestwerp tells you, "Um, that's like, for guitar...", tell him you'll pay in guitar dollars. Buy the one you like even if it's made for flute. And tell your drummer it has a stank-enhancement circuit built right in.
  15. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    flute fuzz? interesting :)
  16. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    here's what i use..

Boss ODB-3 --> Boss DS-1 --> my bass
  17. It really depends what you're looking for. If you want say, the cliff Burton lead bass solos-type tone, go for the russian muff (it sounds better for soloing, etc.) if you want more of a crazy, make-your-ears-bleed distortion, try a digitech (i think) metalzone or a Danelectro french toast cranked right up. For a more bluesy-overdrive-type thing, look in to the sparkle drive or boss ODB series. It depends on what you're looking for, really. Big Muffs can also be used for semi-subtle fuzzy distortion, too.