Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distortion: Amp or Speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Feb 1, 2003.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    My GK 700RB/210 combo has started to give me some audio problems. The sound is distorted at very low volumes but sounds fine at medium to high volumes. What gives? Is the speakers or the amp? Thanks for any help!

2. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    Some speakers just sound better when they're being pushed harder. I wouldn't attribute it to any amp problem. The speakers just aren't getting enough power so they don't sound good. Nothing you can really change about it. Not that I know of at least.

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    GK preamps are a little different than other amps you may have played.If you set the input gain past a certain point with the woofer/master set really low it will distort.Try setting your input gain about 1/4 of the way up,the boost halfway up and the woofer/master 3/4 of the way up.That should give you a really nice clean sound.If you need more volume try the boost first before the input gain.If it's too loud turn down the woofer/master a little bit.Let me know how this works............Oh yeah,what you're experiencing is amp distortion.It's not your speakers.......

4. If you play on bass with active EQ, maybe your battery is low?! Change your battery and try again. :)

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Its possible you might have a slight voice coil misallignment, which would result in a tiny "buzzing" sound at low volumes, but would be masked at higher volumes.

Same symptom might occur if the glue around the dust cover (the "center cone" piece) was becoming loose. This has happened to me in the past, and was a quick and cheap fix.

6. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Tried turning the preamp lower and the boost and master volume higher, but this resulted in only more background noise(as I expected). The distortion(though slight) is still there. It's not my bass as my all-passive P-bass shows the same symptoms.

Eric, how does one check on the voice coil misalignment?

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Personally, I take the grill off, place my fingers around the outer edges of the speaker cone, fairly symetrically, and press down to move the cone in and out slightly. If you hear a slight "rubbing" sound, the voice coil is either damaged or misaligned. You shouldn't hear any rubbing at all.

Be sure to check the "glue" around the edge of the center cone as well. It only takes a small part to be unglued to make a slight buzz.