Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distortion and 4x10

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Masterbasser71, Feb 7, 2006.

1. So I upgraded my rig from a 15" combo to a Goliath 4x10 stack but when i did that, the awesomeness that was my distortion, the evil sounds that my MXR M-80 made with a 15" speaker was gone with the 4x10, how do I get that sound back? The distortion doesn't sound too hot on this anymore. New distortion box? Add a 15" underneath it? Cost efficientcy is best...:help:

2. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Does your new 4x10" cab have a tweeter? If yes, can you turn it on/off? If yes, try that at first :)

Else you might want to add a 1x15" og maybe cut a little of your treble? First thing that comes to my mind is that the more treble you deal in the more gritty distortion you get (well I do, at least) and combined with a not-so-deep-sounding cab you might get a more "trebly" sound.

That's just a guess though. I play through 4x10 with a tweeter and my overdrive tones sounds just perfect to me. But that's a matter of personal taste of course!

3. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I always tailor my distortion sound so that it sounds good in the DI. That is what the audience will be hearing through the front of house mix. So a fullrange cab like the Goliath (with its tweeter) is closer to this than a 15". IMHO people often do not think about how their OD/DIST will sound through the DI.

4. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Thats why I've hooked up my practice amp to my home stereo (with sub of course). I just take the headphone out and hook it into the "game input" using a couple of adaptors. I plan on doing the same thing with my SAPDDI when I get it.

5. In my experience, distortion and bass is a very tricky combination. It is a lot easier for guitar players to get good distortion tones than it is for bass players.

How much time have you spent with the 4x10 in your rig, tweaking the tones? It takes me a LONG time when I get a new piece of equiptment to get some good sounding tones, days, weeks, months, years, even.

The biggest mistake most bass players make is to scoop out the mids. Distorted or not, that just makes your tone thin. Try boosting the mids and play around with that.

:hyper:

6. Actually, when I cut the mids it sounded better. :rollno: but I do remember the settings I had on my Fender Bassman 100. Bass: 0dB
    Mid Freq: 1.5 Khz
    Mid Level: +15dB
    Treble: +15dB
    but the key thing was that the ENHANCE switch was on and made the distortion sound sweet. Oh and I've owned my new amp for 12 days.

7. Oh and with that setting on my old Fender Bassman, the distortion sound on the low Db sounded like thunder!!!!!!!!!
    The best way I can describe it was THUNDER! I know my amp can get that tone, and then some. SWR Studio 220. :help:

8. Hmmm... Add an enhancer?

9. I do have an onboard Aural Enhancer on the preamp going....

10. It may just be a matter of getting to know your new rig combination. I dunno. With my 4x10, I usually boost the low mids and cut the high mids. That seems to do the trick.

11. try different distortions....i use a peavey 410tx (peavey goliath II) and i send 2 signals to my amp, clean and one for all my effects, but my two distortions i have an Ibanez Tube Screamer TS10 and a Boss HM-2 Heavey Metal...i use the tube screamer for grit and the boss for fuzz, and combine the two for ultra fuzz