Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distortion and Wah in one pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by weeding, Jul 15, 2005.

1. weeding

weeding

May 17, 2005
    Could I find a decent pedal with a distortion and wah in it, or should I just buy a good wah or a good distortion? Playing with around A$200.

2. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Buy separately.

There is such unit, Morley for example. But you won't have much choice.

3. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Boss' Dynamic Wah (AW-3) actually can do both. Some don't like it. I do. But you'll need a line selector (like the Boss LS-2 or equivalent) in order to keep your low end, because the AW-3 is a low-end eater.

4. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Even in the Dedicated Bass Input?

5. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Unfortunately, yes. You'll lose any "boom" that you want if you don't run another signal concurrently.

6. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Yeah, I should of seen that coming. The AW-2 does that to me. Am thinking of getting a 2 channel loooper with a blend pot and having the Q-Tron, AW-2, and Morley PBA-2 in one loop, ODB-3 in the other, or maybe the PBA-2 and ODB-3 in the same loop. Or I could make a loooper style box myself.

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Like others said weeding, your best bet is getting seperate pedals. You won't be sorry with seperate pedals, even if it costs more.

8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Alexander Rastopchin is your friend. Besides making one of the best octave pedals for bass, Rastop Designs also makes this...

http://www.rastopdesigns.com/effects.htm#bassenvelopedistortion

you can blend in as much distortion as you want and you can 'control' everything w/ the volume knob - very cool and extremely well made.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As a long time wah and distortion lover, your best bet would be to buy seperate. The only units that are really out there, pretty much suck in one way or another. Get the best of both worlds and buy seperate.

10. Well, there's th eMorley Pro Series I and II wah distortion volume pedals, but the distortion on those is crap. For under $200A (which is pretty close to Canadian money) your best bet would be a Big Muff or Boss DS-1 or Marshall Guv'nor, and a used Morley Power Wah or Bass 105Q off ebay. Make sure the 105Q has working pots (potentiometers) in it if you pick that; it's not as big a deal with the Morley LEDs because Morley has awexome customer service and will send you 10 if the one is burned out.

11. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The Prunes and Custard kinda does something like this, too... but I also recommend buying separately.

12. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    +1,000 on everything said.

Find the wah you like...

Find the OD/Distortion you like...

You can honestly get both a good Distortion sound and a good wah for about $200 or so.

13. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    i agree
    get it separate and you'll have better tonal options on them :D

14. bassman, where are you finding wuch cheap pedals, A$200 isn't that much, it won't even get a a new Boss pedal, the only distortion pedal i have seen for under A$200 that is any good in the Russian Big Muff, the US one is A$210 where i am.

15. I have said unit, dont buy it, the distortion has no distortion, all it does is boost volume.

16. Shauny

Shauny

Feb 17, 2005
    Margate, Kent, Uk
    can i also recomend the Ibanez PD7 for distortion. I picked it up for £40 (not sure wot that is in A$) but its got some insane distortion on it :D

17. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    ACK... people really need to put locations in their profiles...

I didn't catch the A$200 meant for Aussie $'s...

If all you have to spend is A$200, you aren't gonna get a combined pedal...

You still want to buy separate

18. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    hey i just mentioned this pedal in another thread! isnt it amazing.. the samples sound like it has a great throaty and squelchy sound. do you actually own one? rastop do make other good pedals like the bass ring mod and the bass super divider.

19. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    im from australia too and can testify to the horrible prices we pay for new gear in music stores. take this, Boss DS-1: AU $180 !! its criminal!

pantsman, there are several options available to you:

1. check ebay: new or used, prices are basically dictated by the market rather than predetermined for it. buying internationally is pretty cheap right now and shipping costs arent as high as you might think. and besides, the cost + shipping total price is still lower than what you pay in stores. far lower. theres also a seller called 'ebenex music' that sells boss pedals from perth australia and he does it for cheap.

2. music123.com: US site, has pretty good price for new gear. again, shipping isnt that bad and you still come out cheaper than buying in music stores. ive bought a lot of gear from here. (ps they wont deliver boss pedals to australia but there are better options than boss anyway)

3. tonefactor.com/musictoyz.com: both US sites that stock quite a range of more boutique gear.

4. check the classifieds section at talkbass. people here are pretty good with their pricing and will usually ship internationally if you ask.

good luck my friend, may you win the war against over-pricing!