Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distortion effect...once again

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gnusw, Mar 20, 2001.

1. Hi all....

I have no idea which effect makes such a noise like in Incubus track named "Calgone" or on whole (i think so) Machine Head second album "The more things change". Is it possible that BOSS ODB-3 Bass Over Drive could make such a sound???

2. Anyone could help me???? :-(

3. I'm not sure I know the songs yer talkin about(I'm terrible with song names)but based on the bands you mentioned I would guess the effect is a dist. of some kind. I am familiar with the boss OBD3 bass dist.I like it because you can blend yer clean signal with yer dist.one via a blend controll,which keeps yer lows from droppin out.It has the standard"level and drive" controlls plus a 2 band eq(bass+treble)makes it a very versatile pedal...if you think you want a dist. pedal I would reccomend this one....I would stay away from "guitar" dist. pedals they really kill yer lows and sound thin,especially at high volume(but you could try one of the "guitar"pedals thru a blendable f\x loop,see what works for YOU)but I like the boss personally.Hope this helped.

4. Thanks for answer bro....but what you think about SansAmp Bass Driver DI??? I've heard that this is very good effect nad worth it's money....

5. sans amp is a great unit but it depends on what type of dist. your lookin for....FOR me, I did'nt need a d.i.box and the dist. was'nt "over the top" enough for me and I wanted the ability to blend my clean sound+dist. sound , so spending the extra money seemed usless..on the other hand you get a quality pre-amp,d.i.,and dist. effect in one (built like a brick ****house)box.I would agree it's worth the money because it's a studio ready box that kicks ass in live situations(best of both worlds).

6. What do you mean "was'nt "over the top" enough".
    Not enough heavy sound or what???

7. "over the top "....bowel bursting,nastyass,heavy distorted girth...the sans amp was too subtle for ME...hope I did'nt confuse you more

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Until recently, I would have recommended the SABDDI unequivocally. Now, I can't recommend it if you have a G&L bass on which you're unwilling to reduce the output level.

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I have a boss od3 overdrive pedal. It gets a good sound to it.

I realized I don't need an overdrive/distortion after I bought it... and now I'm just looking for an octave pedal, but that's off subject.

The boss sounds good for that type of thing, but if you finger pick (like I do) you might not want to turn the highs up much, otherwise be prepared to just add clicking.

10. I know Alex from Incubus uses a Tech 21 PSA-1 preamp and a big muff for distortion. I'd be willing to bet that he uses one of them on 'Calgone' too. The bass driver IMO sounds good, but I really didn't like the really distorted sounds. I also didn't like the Boss ODB-3 either. I know a lot of people seem to like it, but it sounds too fizzy or fuzzy to me. The DOD overdirve pedal sounded much better than the ODB IMO. If you can, try a Fulltone Bass Drive 'cuz IMO it sounds much better than the others stated (well the PSA-1 is a different story...).

11. I've got both a vintage Rat distortion pedal and an Ibanez Tube Screamer re-issue. I like them both for bass for different reasons. The Rat is just low down sustain-heavy fuzz while the TS-3 gives a great overdriven boost to the signal. I like the use the TS as a non-distortion overdrive pre-amp. add's a heavy punch to my jazz bass and "toughens" up the sound.