1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

distortion for amp with limiter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by playibanez, May 13, 2006.

1. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    i wasnt sure if this would be in the amps section or here, but i decided to put it here.

i have a 35 watt ibanez amp for my bass. the thing has a 'limiter' on it. it helps to stop distortion. but i dont get that thunderous sound that i want out of it. i want to be able to feel the bass when i play not just hear it. so when i crank the gain with the volume up the limiter kicks in and ruins the sound. if i plug a distortion pedal into it the limiter wont stop that too would it? and i am thinking of an ibanez pedal.

2. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Limiters normally are used to prevent speaker damage, not distortion. As you've discovered the limiter "kicks in" when you combine high gain and high volume, so it's doing it's job, though normally you wouldn't hear it working. So my guess is that if you stick a distortion/od pedal in front of the amp and crank everything up to get the "thunderous sound" you're looking for, the limiter is still going to do it's job.

I honestly don't think you can get anything "thunderous" out of a 35 watt practice amp. My prescription is more power and/or more speakers.

3. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    Agree with Groundloop, at 35 watts you are just wasting your money on effects. Try maybe a bigger combo amp if you can't reach the big rig league yet. Either way anything you put in front as far as effects will sound only mediocre at best with a small practice amp, just my 2 cents on that.