Distortion for Metal Grind

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Masterbasser71, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Looking for a distortion that will make my bass grind. I play out of a Jazz Bass which can produce some good sound with distortion on. The problem is, I haven't found a distortion pedal that offers a lot of grind without sounding too much like a guitar. :help: What do you think of that new MXR Blow Torch instead of my now MXR M-80? I want grind, dirty, evil grind. :bassist:
  2. Oh by the way I play out of an SWR Studio 220 into a Goliath II 4x10.
  3. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    The English Muff'n seems pretty versitile. The EQ makes a big difference.

Check out the Finger+Fuzz sample here, especially when I get to the second part: "I Stand Alone"-Godsmack

there is a pick+fuzz sample, an open note string reference (pick and fingers), and info on the EQ of the EM in the samples here
  4. Pro Co Rat + Sans Amp BDDI

Keeley Modded Rat + Sansa Amp BDDI
  5. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    +1 on the Rat. It's what I would use if I played metal. Also, cascading a distortion into a preamp can produce some gnarly tones. I run a Tech 21 XXL into a SABDDI and I love it. It will do metal but probably not as well as a Rat. Good luck.
  6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Instead-of? Did you here this M-80 clip from just a few threads over?

That sounds to me like nice-and-sinister! Can you get that kind of graind out of yours?

If we were to use the clip as a reference point, how would you want your sound to be different?

7. THAT IS EXACTLY THE GRIND I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!!!!!!!!!! And I have the frickin pedal! In fact, I would like to know EVERYTHING that the guy used, as well as the settings on amplifiers, basses, and of course the settings on the MXR M-80 itself
  8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well - there ya' go, then.

Is this a great place, or what?

9. I posted that clip. A friend of mine did the recordings; he's not on these forums. This clip features the distortion channel with very low gain. That's all I know. The M-80 was recorded straight to the PC via the XLR-out. No amps involved. Bass was a Jazz bass with both pickups full open. Tuned in dropped-D, I guess.
  10. Okay I at least have my grind going with the clean channel, but the distortion channel aint that hot coming out of a 4x10 like it was out of a 1x15. So what do I do? Try other distortion boxes? Help? MXR Blowtorch, the best thing to happen to bass distortion since sliced bread?
  11. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    IMO, you just can't beat sliced bread. I love the tone I get from it. Distorted brown note goodness. Mmmmmmmm........
  12. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Evil grind gets no dirtier than this: