Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distortion for Metal Grind

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Masterbasser71, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Looking for a distortion that will make my bass grind. I play out of a Jazz Bass which can produce some good sound with distortion on. The problem is, I haven't found a distortion pedal that offers a lot of grind without sounding too much like a guitar. :help: What do you think of that new MXR Blow Torch instead of my now MXR M-80? I want grind, dirty, evil grind. :bassist:

2. Oh by the way I play out of an SWR Studio 220 into a Goliath II 4x10.

3. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    The English Muff'n seems pretty versitile. The EQ makes a big difference.

Check out the Finger+Fuzz sample here, especially when I get to the second part: "I Stand Alone"-Godsmack

there is a pick+fuzz sample, an open note string reference (pick and fingers), and info on the EQ of the EM in the samples here

4. Pro Co Rat + Sans Amp BDDI

OR

Keeley Modded Rat + Sansa Amp BDDI

5. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    +1 on the Rat. It's what I would use if I played metal. Also, cascading a distortion into a preamp can produce some gnarly tones. I run a Tech 21 XXL into a SABDDI and I love it. It will do metal but probably not as well as a Rat. Good luck.

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Instead-of? Did you here this M-80 clip from just a few threads over?

http://www.everlasting.be/bart/guitars/sounds/MXR_M80/JOAN_Blacklisted_-_MXR_M80.mp3

That sounds to me like nice-and-sinister! Can you get that kind of graind out of yours?

If we were to use the clip as a reference point, how would you want your sound to be different?

Joe

7. THAT IS EXACTLY THE GRIND I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!!!!!!!!!! And I have the frickin pedal! In fact, I would like to know EVERYTHING that the guy used, as well as the settings on amplifiers, basses, and of course the settings on the MXR M-80 itself

8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well - there ya' go, then.

Is this a great place, or what?

Joe

9. I posted that clip. A friend of mine did the recordings; he's not on these forums. This clip features the distortion channel with very low gain. That's all I know. The M-80 was recorded straight to the PC via the XLR-out. No amps involved. Bass was a Jazz bass with both pickups full open. Tuned in dropped-D, I guess.

10. Okay I at least have my grind going with the clean channel, but the distortion channel aint that hot coming out of a 4x10 like it was out of a 1x15. So what do I do? Try other distortion boxes? Help? MXR Blowtorch, the best thing to happen to bass distortion since sliced bread?

11. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    IMO, you just can't beat sliced bread. I love the tone I get from it. Distorted brown note goodness. Mmmmmmmm........

12. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Evil grind gets no dirtier than this:

[​IMG]