1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Distortion from j-retro?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Unrepresented, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Just installed an East j-retro in my previously passive jazz. Overall tone improvement, but getting a bit of distortion on heavier attacks on the G string. Pickups are still stock MIA's.

Don't think I am overloading my amp, output feels comparable to my Warwick and I am running the active input pad.

Ideas?

2. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Does that preamp have trim pots for pickup output? That would be my first check, if they are there, you'll want to back the level off.

3. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
  4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Good call. Didn't even think of that being a potential issue. Any idea why it would be an issue primarily with the G string?

5. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    It could be louder than the others. The pickup(s) might be raised toward the G string?

You might try lowering the pickup under the G string. Do it incrementally and test it as you go. Definitely check out the internal gain controls if that is not the issue.