Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distortion getting lost in the mix

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by funkedupbass, Jul 3, 2005.

1. I currently have a tech 21 bass xxl and a rat pedal for distortion, but the distortion (not the bass) is getting lost in the mix. Is this a result of playing next to 2 guitar players w/distorion as well? Are we just playing too loud? The rat pedals distortion doesn't get lost as easily as the xxl's, but it still gets lost. Is there a distortion pedal whose distortion doesn't get lost in the mix? When it's just the drums and myself nothing gets lost and the 2 pedals sound great both together and individual.
    thanks,
    -eric

2. ive never found my BDDI lost in the mix, but it depends on what kind of distortion your guitarists are using i supose

3. the bddi isn't getting lost in the mix at all. The Bass xxl's (distortion pedal) and the rat's (distortion pedal) distortion is getting lost.

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Damn I didn't think the xxl would ever get lost in the mix.

I'd say have a search in bassist for Jason Newsted and eq your tone more like him since he had to cut thorugh two very full sounding guitarists.

It tends to be boosting your mids more. I can't think of a distortion that would cut through if the xxl doesn't.

Hope this helps

5. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    ive always had the same problem, even with just one guitar. the bass still is very much there, but you cant tell that its distorted. last few months i have just been cranking my sansamp and not even using a distortion pedal anymore.

6. I absolutly love the bottom end on the xxl, maybe adding more highs as well to my eq. I've come close to all but eliminating my mids, I'll try and put some back there and see what happens. Any recomended setting for the xxl?

7. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    anyone tried to the blackbox xray? thats supposed to have a fairly sharp sound, might be something worth looking at.

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've tended to have the warp control ccw from it's center position. I've also been using the drive at it's minimum, I'm finding I get a better defined sound that way. Mind you I haven't had a chance to use it in a band setting yet...

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, I tried it, it was a bit too sharp for my liking iirc.