Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distortion in DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gillento, Jan 31, 2006.

1. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Hi everyone,

A lot of people seem to use distortion regularly (me included).

I am always trying to optimize my sound for DI application, as this is how my sound is sounding/getting thru the mains.

How do you cope with the fact that distortion sounds awful thru a DI?

That is why I am using SansAmps which do have a type of filter/miked OD/DS sound.

I always wondered how people using (boutique) distortion pedals like Bassdrive, Zvex, Bif Muff, ODB3 ... are sounding thru a DI in the Front of House Mix....

Let's face it: must of the time we only get a DI channel to the board.

- Or are you using a clean DI + 1 miked and effected signal to the desk.
    In this case, (how) are you controlling the clean/Dist. mix?
    - Or are you using a speaker simulator device?
    - Or you using an eq to filter out those nasty highs (is this compromising your clean sound)?

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Buy a quality Distortion pedal and run it through a good DI and you won't have any problems

I'm constantly complimented on my tone, by other bands and sound guys

3. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Sound Clips of my rig here and here

The recording is direct out of my NS-2 (hence the noise, and yes I'm working on that....) with NO compression. The signal chain when distortion is on is:

Tuner -> Noise Suppressor -> EHX English Muff'n -> Dime Crybaby From Hell (on all the time, rocked back) -> back to the NS

Considering the wah thing my rig might not be the perfect example but here's the entire post for more info...