distortion level problems?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Jan 7, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    so im at practice the other day. and all my pedals were just dandy in volume except my rat and my wooly mammoth. now ive never had any problems before. but id switch them on and it would sound like i wasnt even there.

so i come home, plug the mammoth in and its load as all heck. so i dont know what the issue is there. i just figure the output knob wasnt up enough.

well at the practice i had to dime the rats output level just to hear it. the obvious answer is loss of bass, but i use it in a loop with an eq to prevent such things...to an extent anyway. so i was a little miffed by the whole thing. and to be honest a bit worried.

i can only think of so many things: my basses battery is dying, i was standing to close to my cab for me to even notice the difference, my pedals are shot or soemthing else entirely.

quick note, i know they say dont use active basses with the wooly mammoth, but ive never ever ever had any problems before so i dont think that has anythign to do with that. if anyone can help id greatly appriciate it.

um also if it helps im using a warwick infinity with an ashdown 900 head and 414t cab if that makes any difference.
  2. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    Ive definitely heard things about the rat losing too much low end. usually using an EQ to Boost whatever lows the rat seems to steal doesnt work; ends up in muddiness. (But this is just what ive heard)

If your battery is dying, likely ALL of your sound will gradually turn weaker and weaker, that was the case with my ibanez active bass. It's relatively easy to change the battery (well, as least on my guitar) so its never a bad idea to try it out.

I also had a volume problem with my distortion (using a BOSS-ODB 3 here). Because when your just jamming at home, it sounds super loud with all the added high-end distortion; however, that stuff never cuts across any eletric guitar distosrtion. Usually at practice, i adjust the volume level of my distortion then so i can evenly hear the low end from the non-distorted to the distorted parts of songs.
  3. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i can see peopel saying the rat would get muddy. but i guess i kind of like that sound. and for some reason it sounds really good to me.

more along the topic though. um, my guitar player said he could hear the distortions just fine. i suppose he could cause he was on the opposite side of the room. but i always try to set the output knobs of my distortions even (or as close as possible) to the output of my signal when its clean. that makes the most sense to me.

that all said, should i try standing on the opposite side of the room? or at leat further from my cab, i mean that will definately have an impact, id think. thanks for the help heckxx.
  4. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    I've notived exactly the same thing, great sound at home but where does it go when playing with the band. This is where the BOSS-ODB 3 has the answer. By setting the balance knob to say 9:00 you keep the original lows from the tone.