Distortion, Octave, Envelope Placements

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassist30, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Always learning... In what order do you put the Distortion (Doomed), Octave (Octabvre MK11) and envelope filter (Proton and ebs). I use a looper so at times I do combine them... I stick the chorus, phaser and verb at he ends but the first 3 need more attention. And out of curiosity where do you stick your compressor and booster. front or back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    There is no right or wrong way...

Octabvre into Doom into filter is going to be the most common reply.

But octave after dirt can sound much better as long as tracking isn’t adversely affected. Clean bass generated under your distortion instead of feeding too much low end into the distortion which can sound flabby.

Filter after dirt for a synthier sound, but also sounds great before especially when the dirt has a clean blend.

Some like to compress before octave to improve tracking. I prefer it after to increase the punch otherwise lost by converting to a square wave and filtering the hell out of it. Compression after filter in general to help even out the sound and ensure all your playing nuances make it through to the envelope trigger!

instrumentalist likes this.
  3. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Wow very helpful............ Learned a lot. I will set it up first as you originally stated. But will keep an open mind with your very good alternate set up. I can check them both.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021