Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

distortion/OD for metal, sansamp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slapinandpopin7, Dec 22, 2005.

1. i know this has probably been done many times before, but i couldnt find anything with this question.

right now i have the mxr m80 bass dist pedal, but im starting to need 2 different kinds of distortion or overdrive, a really high gain sound, and a sound that has a good amount of crunch, but not to over the edge, like Trivium or God forbid.

i was thinking of getting another m80 and make one the really high gain, and the other more grindy, for switching between them, would it work to layer them? i dno if that was the right word, but have the grindy one on, then add a more gainy one when i want to kick the gain up, would that end up muddying the signal?

my main question is if you guys think it would be worth getting the 3 channel tech 21 sansamp bass driver, then i can dial in a clean, then over drivin, then really high gain, what do u think about the sansamp range of ods and distortion? good for trivium godforbid sound? i know the god forbid bassist uses the sansamps, but i dno if thats where he gets his distortion.

any help would be awesome
    thanks
    :bassist:

2. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    I'd like to know of some really high gain distortion stompboxes myself. Personally I'm looking for something that has so much dist and grit that "evil" doesn't even begin to describe it :eek: . I want to make plants wilt and nuns faint :eek:

Right now all I have is a Boss MD-2 and my V-Wah for distortions. The MD-2 is pretty crunchy w/o loosing a lot of the bottom end. I set both the gain/dist knobs to max :D , the Bottom (bass freq.) controll to max, leave the tone centered and have to leave the level knob just above 7/8 o'clock. It's pretty high gain (and noisy).

Can't really suggest anything for the lower gain type of sound :scowl: , sorry

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Torn's Peaker. 'Nuff said.

I find the SansAmp good for mild OD and that's it. The bass driver is really meant to mimic a tube amp, not provide OD. I would get a dedicated OD rather than the SansAmp.

4. so would getting just the single channel sansamp be good just for the mild grit, then kick in the MXR over that when i want really high gain
    but will having those 2 on at the same time make alot of mud?

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I can't say for sure since I do not have the MXR, but I find that the SansAmp tends to "tame" high gain distortions. Of course, you could run the SansAmp into the MXR.

FWIW, I have run a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive into the SansAmp with both on max OD when I forgot the Torn's Peaker. It sounded fine.

I am currently using an HAO Rust Ride for most of my OD chores.

6. original guvnor or english muffn.

7. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    If you'd like to have both a crunchy and a really ballsy tone, go for the sansamp tri-ac, the probamable bddi isn't gainy enough

8. You could use the Sansamp for OD, but apart from that its distortion capabilities are pretty low. However, running a fuzz through it makes it sound stupidly massive. When I run my muff through my sansamp, I can get it to sound like a heavily distorted guitar and bass playing at the same time.

For filthy, lung tearing distortion, you just can't pass stuff from the effector 13 line.

9. sweet deal, do u get much low end loss from the tri AC?

and im thinkin of tryin the ibanez phat hed bass driver, its cheap, and seems from the clips like it would be fine just to add gain on to the MXR, anyone have thoughts about that pedal?

sry i keep changin what pedals im thinkin of, but im just tryin to find the best/least expensive way to get the sound im lookin for.

thanks for all the help so far.

10. Cliff em'All

Cliff em'All

Sep 27, 2004
    I recomend the tone bone hotbritish its got so many different settings your can go from mild to just full on crunch and it holds the bottum end so well! its a bit expencive but well worth it!

11. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    If you use a compressor in pedal form it should be enough with just one distortion/overdrive/fuzz if its set up after the comp.

Just turn off the compressor and turn on the dist/od/fuzz and hell is loose :)

That's basically what I do.. with my two overdrives set up after my punch factory I've got sort of "3-steps-overdrive" one pedal set for mild od, another one for 'heavy'-od and then turning off the comp when I have to take over the scene :D

Anyway, I would also recommend you taking a look at the original guv'nor, it really can turn into something evil! It sounds best when modded though.

12. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I have been using the SansAmp GT-2 for that really over the top OD sound and it rocks. One thing that pretty much all OD pedals have in common is that you have a lot of gain-based compression so it can be hard to dial in the right output volume. On the GT-2 I use the "California" setting with the bass control cranked and the medium overdrive position. I run the drive at about 40% and the level to run a little hotter than my straight volume.