Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distortion/Overdrive/Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gverutes, Aug 21, 2002.

1. gverutes

gverutes

Aug 1, 2002
    Can as many people as possible rattle off the brand and model of their top recommendation for distortion/ overdrive/ and fuzz pedals for bass...

I need to pick up one of them and I have heard mixed things about certain stompbox pedals.

Thanks,
    Gregg-

2. benevan

benevan

May 2, 2002
    Memphis
    Fuzz - Wooley Mamouth
    OD/Dist - Dredgetone Bass Angler

3. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i'm using the ebs multidrive right now and i'm loving it. the dredgetone is also very good.

4. OD/Fuzz-Crowther audio Prunes+Custard

Stevekim, does that Multidrive have enough "slice" or does it get lost in a sea of mush with the rest of the band?

5. i'm surprised i'm the first mentioning this

fuzz- Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi. just goddamn amazing pedal. such sweet, sweet fuzz. i'm also a fan of the ProCo Ratt, but i think that fuzz pedal sounds a little bit better on guitar than it does on bass.

Joel

6. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    madsubwoofer,

i find the ebs cuts through well enough for what i'm doing. i usually use it in "standard" mode and with a pick. the "tube" setting sounds really convincing but it's a little less defined than the "standard" mode.

-steve

7. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    If you want something crazy you can also check out the Akai Unibass. It adds an octave up as wells as a fuzzy distortion. Not for everyone perhaps, but great if you can find a use for it...

8. I've been demoing distortions and overdrives allot lately, and I've discovered a few good ones on bass.

Visual Sound Jekel&Hyde, with a slight modification (which would be a little hard to do) this would be one of the best bass distortions ever made.

Full tone bassdrive, really fat sounding od allot like the tube screamer with a bass expanding modification and a clean boost that can result in a corpulant yet boomy tone.

SA Comptortion, could be better but it provides a fully saturated bass distortion with less low end buzz.

Crowther Audio P&C, seems cool enough.

**The turbo and classic rat, ok there have been complaints about low end loss but if modified these pedals would be perfect on bass. Just like the Big Muff Pi.

9. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

ok...kinda' expensive and bulky for a "stomp box".

But there's nothin' like tubes overdrivin' tubes overdrivin' tubes
    (i.e., the D-180's cascading channels).

:mad: grrr
          [​IMG]
    Sorry. Guitarists are always tryin' to get their hands on these amps.

10. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Overdrive - Dredgetone Angler
    Fuzz - Frantone Lo-Tone

11. Any of you guys have any comment on the Dredgetone VS the Fulltone? Why you chose one over the othrer?

12. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    it's been a while since i've had the fulltone, but to me the dredgetone sounded "fuller". :) all the cliches we use to describe tone, like fat, warm, and creamy, popped into my head when using the dredgetone. i also like how small and simple it is.

on a side note: my ebs multidrive is having problems :-( i might have to take it back to the dealer. anyone have problems with the output on their multidrive dropping after a few hours of play? mine does that but is back to normal after not using it for fifteen minutes. weird.

-steve

13. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I replaced the Fulltone with a Dredge-Tone. I thought the Angler had more sparkle and a slightly more aggressive tone. It also leaves the bottom end alone as you turn up the 'dredge'.

14. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    you looking for an overdrive pedal, madsubwoofer? you should test out the ebs.

-s

15. well...I use OD in a weird way so I am always kinda interested in your guy's experiance so I can tell if it will work for me. Those were some good observations you two made. I like to use mine as a sort of synth effect, much like how BigFeet described his BassDrive experiance; corpulent, yet boomy. Like when you turn up an SVT *really* loud then touch your strings softly and play up by the neck. You end up with a seriously deep sub-bloom this way when set just right. I don't think a dry/effect blend is what I want? Just a massive deep rumble. This is why my Crowther P+C sounds so good. I have heard so many people talk about their Angler's...sounds like the one but I am not sure I WANT my bottom "left alone". I think I want the lows fuzzed out but deep.
    Some OD/fuzz/ distortions can sound kind of "artificial" or "processed".
    SteveKim; how about the differences you hear between your Angler and EBS?
    Thanks...

16. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

For deep fuzz, I would try the Franton Lo-Tone.

17. I tried out the Synth Wah at GC and it was actually very cool. I'd like to try one out on a nicer rig. I might get one, after the Maxon AF9, of course. That Bass Driver looks neat-o, too.

OK, back on topic...
    I'm using a Dredgetone Angler and it sounds very nice. It's cheap for a boutique pedal, as well. The Prunes & Custard (GAS!), EBS and Wooly Mamoth look promising as well.

Hey bigfeet,
    What kind of mod would improve the Jekel and Hyde? A low end boost, perhaps?

18. It already has a ton of lows for a guitar pedal, a clean mix or low pass filter so you could get in some clean lows would be great. But it's kind of tricky because they are two pedals in one. I almost bought one but I couldn't find any techs to do that mod for me. It would seriously make a kicking bass distortion if it had some way to get in some unaffected lowend.

19. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Try a boss ODB-3, it has a really cool fuzz, and good distortion. However, it does not do overdrive, which is ironic, since it is called a "bass overdrive" plus its real cheap and real sturdy, but it might not be what you're looking for.