Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

distortion/overdrive question...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Jun 10, 2001.

1. 1) what is the difference between distortion and over drive? I use a Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer thats really cool, but I rather more crunch then fuzz.

2) What kind of distortion or over drive pedals are best? I was looking around in the reviews section and the Ibanez Phat Hed pedal got some really good reviews, but I want some second opinions...

thanks for the help.

2. Mr. Brett

Mr. Brett

Jun 3, 2001
    Check out the EH Big Muff. I hear it sounds really good on bass. :D

3. I know the big muff kicks butt on the guitar, but I haven't heard it on the bass.. I'll check it out. I know the Smashing Pumpkins use it alot on their best album.

4. technically there's no difference between the two, but the terminology has evolved to mean that
    "overdrive" is slight harmonic distortion, whereas "distortion" is just more extreme, and "fuzz" is even more extreme.

5. The crunch sound in eiter distortion or overdrive depends mostly on EQ mainly a good combination of highs and low to the mid level. Try the Ampeg SVP-BSP. I have one it's a rackmount unit and gets great tones of distortion and overdrive, even clean (not many people know that the second gain control on the overdrive chanel controls the drive). It has a semi parametric mid, gate and drive gain control(ODC) ultra low, ultra high and compressor(CLC) and they can be combined for more EQ. I love it!