Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

distortion, overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Jul 7, 2001.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    wot is the difference between distortion and overdrive?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Overdrive is supposed to sound like a valve(tube) amp coping with being cranked. It is a light distortion and the character of the guitar or bass can be heard (ie singles or buckers etc)

Distortion is harder and has less of the instrument and more buzz.

Fuzz is harder still and fuzzier.

Another term you may hear is saturation. This is what people mean when they are describing a cranked valve amp cos overdrive means now something else (see begining).

If you have heard a bassplayer getting distortion it may be from a cranked amp and you are going to struggle trying to get it from a pedal. Just a little bonus for you.

Hope this helps.

3. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    so if i wanted a distorted overdrive type sound but still wanted to hear the notes being played would I buy distortion?

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's better not to go by the pedal's name. There's no standard categories, a overdrive pedal can be more 'distortion' than a distortion pedal from another manufacturer, for example.
    Test as many as you can and get what SOUNDS best to you.

5. a good example of what he is talking about is the Boss Bass Overdrive. Now I love this pedal and use it all the time but i never call it using overdrive. It is definetly distortion and very very hard. I still love the crunchy sound of it but it definetly isnt for light overdrive like in a lot of Primus songs and even some RHCP ones.

does anyone know of any good "OVERDRIVE" pedals that work well with bass and dont kill the bottom end?

6. JohnP's been jumpin' up and down about his new Dredgetone Angler lately.....check that out.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have a SansAmp Bass Driver DI which produces varying degrees of crunch. It's a pretty cool unit and can be used as a stomp box instead of, or in addition to, being used as a DI box. The down side is it can sound a little too compressed. But, in general, I'm happy with it, as are alot of other people, including Geddy Lee...

Another pedal that just came out, so I know nothing about it, is the EBS Multidrive...supposedly it's going to kick some serious @$$, based on how well other EBS pedals perform...

8. I really wish there was more info floating around about EBS's Multidrive. There are two independant reviews up at http://www.ebs.bass.se .