Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BoognishMang, Dec 5, 2001.

1. what's the difference?
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Overdrive pedals are supposed to give you the sound of a tube power amp driven hard. They dont. What they do do (do do?) is give you a light 'distortion' that does not mask the inherant qualities of the instrument.

Distortion pedals give you more gain and are fizzer/buzzier. The differences between instruments are less pronounced (as opposed to non existent).Please note that the word 'distortion' is the generic term for anything not clean regardless of how it was produced.

Both pedals provide preamp distortion which is different to the sound of say a thrashed SVT which apart from being extremely loud is known as saturation (AKA less confusingly as power amp distortion).

Thats one definition I am sure there will be others.
  3. "Thats one definition I am sure there will be others."

The way I understand it, an overdrive introduces some of it's own light distortion, but is used mainly to boost the signal of the instrument so that the amp will distort. An overdrive by this definition is used mainly by guitarists with tube amps.

A distortion pedal generates it's own (often bad sounding) distortion without the purpose of causing the amp to distort.

Sort of off topic but it comes up a lot when overdrive/distortion is discussed: I believe the Boss Bass Overdrive has a misleading name, it should be called a bass distortion.