Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distortion pedal, please help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by camerondye, Dec 21, 2002.

1. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I want a distortion pedal that you can control how much of the original bass sound comes through like the Boss ODB-3 that actually has a good distortion sound. It also has to be quiet when the unit is turned off. The boss has an average sound and doesn't sound that great when off. I have found that if you mix a over-the-top distortion with the original, that is the best sounding distortion. Any help would help...thanks

2. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I'm not sure which one has a blend knob. The Fulltone maybe? The "more' knob on a DOD BassGrunge is pretty much like that, but it doesn't go COMPLETELY clean. The BassGrunge does have a second clean out,though. I think the BassGrunge is a VERY good pedal for the price you can get one for on Ebay. People look down on it because it has a goofy name and it's from DOD, but trust me, it's a great peadl. My friend made fun of me when I first got mine and then he got one after playing it. Or, What you can do is get 2 cheap little line mixers and split your signal into the 2 pedals and then back into the second line mixer. This way, you can use any pedal you want or, even blend a couple pedals at a time.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz has a separate volume for the clean and effected tones. I use mine a lot, and I've been getting compliments on my tone. It will do sounds from almost-overdrive to really raspy fuzz.

The MXR M-80 also gives you the blend option, but it's more of a multi-purpose pedal, which has EQ, XLR out, etc.

I'm thinking pretty seriously of trying a Tech 21 TRI-AC, which allows three separate pre-sets.

'Course, I'd also like to try a Woolly Mammoth, a Drivetrain, a Deep Fryer, a Bass Drive, a Buddha, a Juggernaut (when they come out), a Chunk, and some others, but you never see one anywhere you can try it.