1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Distortion Pedal question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ferniff, Oct 1, 2010.

1. A few months ago when I was trying to learn electric guitar, I bought a cheap First Act Distortion Pedal from Target. Mainly just to try it out. It was $40 so I wouldn't be surprised if nobody has anything positive to say about it, personally I'm indifferent to it. Anyways my question is am I able to hook this up to my bass amp and bass? Or is there also a difference between Guitar pedals and bass pedals?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41fSORB978L._AA260_.jpg

2. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    Normally guitar distortion pedals work horribly on bass because there's basically no low end and all high end. It matters if distortion pedals are for guitar or bass but not so much modulation effects like choruses, flangers, and phasers.

3. I just hooked it. I actually like the way it sounds. But I'm afraid of going too far up the neck in fear that it'll blow my amp. It was the cheapest amp I could find at Guitar Center so occasionaly the speaker goes it, which then results in me slapping the bass until it works

4. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    Wrong section.

Don't be worried about losing low end you can run it with a blender and blend some of your clean back in.

5. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    There is a difference between guitar distortions and bass distortions. bass distortions are tuned for more lows and they have a blend control(which mixes the dry signal with the effected signal). guitar distortions do not have blend controls and some guitar distortions when used on bass tends to lose low-end. however, that problem can be solved by using a blender pedal. using a blender pedal along with a guitar distortion pedal on bass can easily give you a killer distorted bass sound without obliterating low-ends. so if you're gonna use a guitar distortion on bass, it usually a good idea to purchase a blender pedal to go with the distortion pedal.