Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distortion pedal suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jonas5681, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I, for the first time have decided to use distortion in my music. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what kind of pedal to use? I am looking for a dirty sound instead of all out fuzz. Any insight will be appreciated.

2. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Get a rat pedal, It'd been recomended numerous times in threads like these. Justin in Tool uses one, listen to Hooker with a Penis to hear it in action. I'm gonna pick one up myself when I get the cash.

3. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Then I guess 90%* of the talented musicians we hear everyday cannot play.

*This percent is wrong, as I'm not sure many drummers use effect pedals :p

4. How does this help him at all? Are you telling me that you can get a great distortion sound with just your hands? You must be an amazing player. However, im pretty sure that you just dont know what you're talking about.

Maybe tabcrawler will be a better forum for you, cause you know, this is a mature forum and all.

/rant

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    One of the best (and the one I use) is the Fulltone Bassdrive. It has 2 different distortions and can give everything from mild overdrive to full on crunch and even fome nice fuzz. It is true-bypass and it really preserves your low end as well. Downside is they are expensive (~$175), but they are quality made.

-KB

7. dogman

dogman

Oct 21, 2001
    da Swamps
    +1 on that KB!!!I bought a Fulltone BassDrive last year, and Ive never regretted it since,its a great pedal!!:D

8. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I think you have to remember that most of the time the bass sits in the mix, and subtle effects just won’t be heard. It may sound great to you standing next to the speaker but you are the only one who’s going to ear it. I love the sound of a subtle overdrive but I’m not going to pay mega bucks for my ears only.

I haven’t tried the PD7 so I can’t comment on that even though I’ve heard it’s pretty good, but I use the Boss ODB3. It can add the fuzz on top that lets me cut through the mix but keeps the bottom end in tack thanks to the balance control.

If I’m going to use overdrive/distortion I want everybody to know about it!!

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yep.
    It's the best I've ever tried.

10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Fulltone Bassdrive for valvey OD and distortion. And the Big Muff is bargain for fuzz bass.

Alex

11. You don't need to use pedals to be good. It helps him to know this because pedals aren't the answer. And yes I can get a distorted sound using a pick and my hands.

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    His question was about him deciding to use distortion in his bass to get a sound he wanted. He asked our opinion about which pedal to use to get a dirty distortion. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see where he said he wanted to use a pedal to be a better player.

And overdriving your amp I'd imagine. That's great. I'd love to hear how you get a fuzz, wah, chorus, synth, flange or tremelo sound without pedals.

And of course pedals aren't the answer to being good. But I don't see where anyone said that beyond your putting words in his mouth

13. need i remind that this is the effects forum, and not the flamewar forum ?

thank you.

14. If I had the ability to record onto my computer or upload music onto my computer, I would make you eat your words, but as it is.... you just think I am lying. I was just telling him if you are good enough you don't need pedals to make the distortion sound, it just came off the wrong way earlier.

15. What he said.
    Shure you can get overdrive and maybe some distortion without pedals. But let's see you get the rest oh that list. :)

16. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Actually, I don't think you're lying. One of my basses is a Fender Hot Rod P with EMG pups and a U-Retro preamp. With the combination of those two, I have a lot of gain on the bass and if I put volume up full I get built in overdrive/distortion!

There are other ways to do it too, especially if you have pick and low action and/or pickups closer than usual to the strings. Isn't that how Lemmy does it?

But I usually prefer to do it via a pedal so I can easily switch the effect on/off mid song without having to back up / down on the volume. But your way is good too, whatever works best for each individual players needs is what they'll feel is best.

Anyway, I had no intention of turning this into a flamewar.

17. I have a $99 Rogue bass with a Rogue amp. I don't have an expensive thing like you said. I just figured out how to whack the tune. :bassist: But I think Lemmy does do that. Lemmy is the best picker in rock 'n' Roll today(used to be David Ellefson but where's he now?).

18. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I think maybe the distortion sound you are getting is your equipment screaming to be killed.

19. So just because it doesn't cost an arm and a leg it's crap? Well sonny I could out play you any day. Now don't even reply to this cause I am not interested in nimrods who think they are better than everyone just cause their gear costs more.

20. *must refrain from going insane, MUST REFRAIN* please kid, do us all a favor AND LEAVE!! GO BACK TO TABCRAWLER WHERE YOU BELONG!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.